Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service probation.

Options
  • 18-04-2024 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I started working in the Civil Service last year. In that time, I have passed both a 3 and 6 month probation assessment with extremely positive feedback, and have received no indicator that I'm doing anything wrong from anyone. However, I was told by my HEO today that our new AP (of 2 weeks) isn't happy with my work, has brought this to the attention of the PO and has talked to HR about the status of my probation, all without informing my HEO first. I am completely taken aback by this, and from what I understand, the AP's actions are a complete breach of protocol. My HEO is extremely supportive and I have no problem with them, but this new AP concerns me considering all was going very well until the new AP started and this AP seems to have taken issue with my work and escalated it very far without discussing anything with me or my line manager first. I'm honestly baffled by the entire situation. Are there any fellow civil servants here who have any views on this situation or the likelihood that it could cause a problem with HR passing my probation, despite consistently positive feedback before today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

Speaking to the local union rep. They might give some advice, even if you aren't a member and might be willing to take on your case if you were willing to become a member. Or else contact an employment law solicitor.

The APs actions are a complete breach of protocol, but some debts have weak HRs who will be steamrolled in situations like this so just because the police is on your side, doesn't mean you won't end up out of a job. You need to be willing to fight and argue your side of things and make life difficult for HR, the Dept. and the AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Why would an AP be speaking to a PO about the performance of a CO? Utterly bizarre. I worked in several departments. The COs never saw or even spoke to their APs. The HEO did all the communicating. This AP wont have a leg to stand on. I think the HEO might be trying to play both sides here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There is a new EU law where the probationary period should not be more than 6 months except in exceptional cases - don't think the union has pushed this yet

New AP trying to make his mark on the dept - if it becomes a problem go to HR and the union

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bja68

I'm an EO, but yeah, the point still stands that my line manager is my HEO, and I've had nothing but positive feedback and encouragement from him. This entire situation has me scratching my head. From what I understand, if an AP has an issue with any work by an EO or CO, they ask the HEO to discuss it with them. They don't go to the PO, let alone HR. Especially when the AP is only two weeks in the unit and no problem has been pointed out to the EO in almost 8 months of work. I'm genuinely shook. Even any interaction I've had with the PO to date has been positive. I don't know what to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Tork

Are you in a union?

• Advertisement

I'm not. But I'm very seriously considering looking into joining one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Definitely join the union.

Consider that the HEO may be telling / making up stories to cause trouble.

Consider also whether there are any out-of-work reasons why the AP or HEO might not like you, and how you might get away from the situation.

Consider if there could be any substance to concerns about your work, that others haven't had the guts to talk to you about. (Unlikely, but sometimes it happens: an outsider comes an, and there's some glaring hole which is obvious to them but being ignored by the people who are closer.)

Ask your manager for very specific details of what, if anything, they want changed.

Document everything.

I've decided to look into joining the union tomorrow. All of what you said has crossed my mind. I've only met the new AP twice so far, so I can't imagine there are any out-of-work reasons for her not liking me. I get along with everyone else on the team very well, and do with people in general. But who knows, I guess. I'm definitely documenting everything, from previous positive feedback to my positive probation reviews to the conversation I had today with my HEO, and anything else of potential relevance.

That's actually reassuring to know. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It would be very difficult for management (either line manager or more senior) to stymie someone's probation without them having documented and discussed concerns with you over the probation period, and having recorded any remedial steps agreed with you during the probation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement