Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebase Ireland makes 1 Million Loss

Options
  • 18-04-2024 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just read Homebase Ireland made a 1 Million Loss will probably follow same fate as argos soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The loss seems to be due to exceptional costs, Covid assistance repayment and fixed asset impermeant. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭JVince

B&Q are in the midst of agreeing to purchase the Irish stores.

No overlap except possibly Waterford.

Deal should be announced soon ( it was reported and b&q mentioned it in a stock market filing).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The stock-levels and general state of the place in Homebase Nutgrove was shocking bad the last two times that I was there. Gaps on every shelf and pallets of not much rammed everywhere. I wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Markd518

Oh didn't realise that, I take it they would just rebrand to b&q rather than keep the homebase brand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭standardg60

Not surprised at that, more so that they've lasted this long here, it's just never really resonated with the public here for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭JVince

Yep, full rebrand. Homebase brand has no value.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

Over priced place. Some of their offerings were 20% more expensive than Woodies, who are expensive as it is.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

An article I found on The Times about it.

Today, I learned that B&Q and Screwfix are under the one umbrella, Kingfisher.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/homebase-may-disappear-from-ireland-as-kingfisher-circles-xzzgdvnsl

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Markd518

They would have a good share of the DIY market if they buy the homebase stores then .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Kingfisher is big..really big. Owning Castorama in France and other countries.

Homebase was competitive at one stage. Loosing it won't do anything for competition in this sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Brexit related issues I’d say are not being kind to U.K. based retailers operating here. The paperwork to avoid tariffs and customs charges must be quite onerous. Most of their stuff is likely made in the far east and imported to the U.K. and distribution from there to here. How does that work in avoiding rules of origin issues? I assume it means they need a much bigger entity based here or in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I find it a bit on the expensive side myself, but I do use Homebase a lot because it has so much under the one roof. There probably isn’t to many Saturdays I’m not in there picking up garden/home stuff. I really hope they don’t downsize and start closing stores.

Advertisement