Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT: headlight question

Options
  • 18-04-2024 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Will NCT to be failed if I'll install so called headlight eyebrows? (Smth like on the picture).

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DRedford

If they don't block the light beam, they'll be fine. The ones in your picture do not cover the beams, so they'll be grand, unless you get a real ahole of a tester.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A real "ahole of a tester" can still only fail the car based on the criteria in the NCT manual and so if the beam isn't blocked and the item doesn't pose a danger risk to pedestrians or fall off then what can he fail it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FenrirXIII

Any idea where to look for criteria to determine danger risk to pedestrians? I.e. a car is a risk to pedestrians))))

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He could deem them to be a non standard external feature sitting proud of the original surface and as such a pedestrian safety issue.

Is it written anywhere?

Only thing I can find, is page 118 NCT manual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 DRedford

If it "fails" on that, bring it to the centre at another time / different place, it's a visual, so the retest is free, and doesn't need a booking.

It's not an unsafe modification, tons of cars have them and pass all the time. I'd have no worries putting such on my car (except for the look of it being not my cup of tea)

A real "ahole of a tester" can still only fail the car based on the criteria in the NCT manual and so if the beam isn't blocked and the item doesn't pose a danger risk to pedestrians or fall off then what can he fail it on?

A reason that is made up in their mind. Note, the vast majority of the testers are grand, but you get the occasional bad apple. It comes up every few weeks that s car failed nct, went back with no changes and passed.

Well, sounds promising - if it won`t slip from my mind, will update on results late January.

Thanks all for the replies!

Advertisement