Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alf McCarthy RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

This is sad news. I enjoyed listening to him on Late Date. May he Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

R.I.P. Alf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

Always loved Alf presenting late date, he had a unique voice and played great music, a big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sad news. Alf was a great presenter throughout his career and although he was Marmite to some he made Late Date his own even under the imposing shadow of Val Joyce. I always enjoyed how he always gave it the Cork Local Radio touch; it definitely made the show feel more local and more, dare I say, warmer.

One wee note; one his last show he read out a request to a long long lost cousin of mine. I dropped him a line to say that so and so was my cousin. A week later I got an email from Alf, instructing me to phone said gentleman.

Thank you, Alf, and enjoy your peace of the Lee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Baseball72

A nice touch from Cathal last night was to sign off the tribute to Alf with Johnny Cash's version of "We'll meet again".

Alf often played JC for his listeners (myself included on a few occasions).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Fiachna Ó'Braonáin also paid tribute to Alf, as he was filing in for John Creedon

I think Fiachna took over from Alf on Late Date when he retired (If I remember Fri and Sat nights were Alf's nights)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Good spot. Alf did weekends and a few fill in gigs initially with Lilian, Late Date being Cork based whenever Val wasn't on. He ended up on the show full time when John Creedon (He initially replaced VJ in 2006.) stepped into the early evening slot, with the weekend slots then ending up being Dublin based.

As it happens, Alf ending up moving to Dublin for a few years and, true to form, always kept it Leeside even when in Montrose.

Advertisement