Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimplex XLE150 Eddi Test

Options
  • 18-04-2024 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Since the installation of the rooftop panels to my Sunsynk, I've been trying to heat the house in a more sustainable way.

I purchased two cheap ptc heaters as a test for the downstairs, one for the hall and one for the living space. I already had a 400w infrared heat panel which I fitted in the living room.

The idea of testing with the ptc heaters was to see how much energy I'd use heating the space, with a view to doing a diy install of an A2A heat pump/air conditioner. I know I need to get a gas certified installer too.

First I did quite a bit of work sealing up any areas where cold air was getting in, used a thermal imaging camera to locate the draughts, replaced the old leaky front door, and generally put quite a bit of effort in to warming up the hall as pretty much every room in the house is linked to it. I'm finding that if the hall is warm, then the rest of the house follows.

House is 3 story 1500sqft semi. The downstairs is open plan kitchen with utility off it, dining, living room, hall.

Since mid February, the stove hasn't been lit, it would normally have been lit every day. The lpg condensing boiler comes on as needed for an hour in the morning downstairs and half an hour upstairs at 19:00, again as needed. Heating is zoned with thermostats.

I managed to source one of these at a great price on donedeal.

Could've got one of the really old models free but that wouldn't fly aesthetically, as my plan is to put it in the landing and these shouldn't be covered.

My thinking is to connect the Eddi to the off peak supply of the heater. Can also boost at night rate if needed. I'm hoping the heat that I get from it keeping the landing warm will also keep the bedrooms warm. If not I think I'll go down the route of ceiling mounted infra red panels for the bedrooms.

Picking it up later today and will hopefully install tomorrow.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It will be interesting to see how the digital controls on the storage heater cope with the variable voltage output from the eddi.

I connected two bathroom towel rails to the second output of my eddi and while it's handy being able control them via Home Assistant/Google, if I was doing it again, I'd probably just get a separate connection from the CU and power them via a smart relay/contactor.

The second output on the eddi is quite limiting if you are trying to heat a cylinder during a EV tariff. The other issue is that the towel rails will dissipate heat indefinitely and will never trip out a thermostat so you need automations to turn them off after a period of time once your cylinder is heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I'm hoping that the fact it's dual supply will mean that the permanent supply will power the electronic controls, and the Eddi connected to the off peak of the heater will work.

I'll know soon enough.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I understand now, the heater has 2 inputs!

To be able to suit the night storage meters that were only ever on when it was night rate!

Control will turn the heater on/off but switch on the relay that controls the off peak input.

Exactly.

Just finished the install there and it seems to be working away nicely. Taking .6kw now.

Post edited by allinthehead on

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Had this running yesterday, worked beautifully as intended. Boosted last night between 2-4 and set it to discharge at 07:30. Nice warm landing. Taking 1.8kw now, the max I have the Eddi set too.

Delighted I went down this route now and I'm going to look out for another smaller version of it for the hall. It's almost like having more battery storage, apparently the Xle150 can hold 23kwh.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

With the controller, can it "release" heat on demand from a thermostat?

Does it have some sort of flaps that open and close?

Ya, that's how it works. Charge during the day from Pv or at night on the cheap rate, then you set times to release the heat. There's a little fan that extracts the heat from the core. It's barely audible.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Sorry, I should add as you mentioned the thermostat that the times you set to discharge are temperature dependent. You could in theory have it set to release all day and the thermostat would kick it in and out.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Advertisement