Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question About Player Safety and Rules Regarding Shooting at Goal in Hurling

Options
  • 17-04-2024 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I've recently observed something at several underage hurling games and training sessions that raised a question about the rules and player safety. During these events, I noticed players shooting at goal in a very aggressive manner. Specifically, they pull on the ball hard, seemingly without regard for the presence of defenders who must then choose between dodging the ball or risking injury.

Is this type of play within the rules of hurling? Are there any regulations concerning how players should shoot at goal, especially in terms of safety for other players? Any insights or official rule references would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So they were trying to score goals? And you’re worried that they were doing something wrong with how they were hitting the ball so ‘wrecklessly’ maybe on the ground?

I mean, it’s up to the coaches or referee in a match to say whether something is too much or a foul. Wouldn’t begrudge the forwards doing it if they’re being allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

it’s long time since i played but often put my body in front of a rocket of a shot and often got a slap of the hurl or sliotar ,part and parcel of being being a defender or goalkeeper in hurling .. it takes a certain kind of madness.. you can’t fault a forward for doing what is essentially what they are meant to be doing .. If a player is swinging wildly missing the sliotar all together then that’s different and up to the ref or couches to sort out ..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kenny_david

Thanks @callaway92 and @harr not begrudging them and understand it’s part and parcel just wondering if it’s part of the rules or not the way I see it with the intent the players are striking the ball it is wreckless and could cause a lot of damage especially underage

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭AUDI20

There is no rule that specify what way a forward or any player strikes a slither, but if their swinging in a dangerous manner as to maybe cause injury to the opposing player then that could be classed as dangerous play and should be checked by Coach or referee

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭chubba1984

The old saying is to keep going until you can see the whites of the goalies eyes and then lash it in.

It's a competitive sport, good defenders wont "dodge the ball" because it might hurt. As a corner back I got walloped with plenty piledrivers in my time, and I still have a few broken fingers that nevet set right, but its your job to put your body on the line to stop the ball. If that's a problem, solution is either HTFU or find a different sport.

There's certainly nothing in the rules that says you have to gently caress a shot because someone might get hit!

• Advertisement
Advertisement