Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Drill for home use?

Options
  • 17-04-2024 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

looking for a cordless drill for home use.

Main requirement will be masonry but would like to use for other purposes as well.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

For occasional use, the Makita 18V drill and driver set is not a bad option. That's what I use.

Otherwise you need an SDS for regular masonry work. A corded version will be cheapest. The Hitachi rotary hammer ones are quite good and last years and years. I used a Makita Cordless SDS for work and it was the bees knees.

Something like this

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/makita-hr166dsmj-2-4kg-10-8-12v-2-x-4-0ah-li-ion-cxt-brushless-cordless-sds-plus-drill/978GT?tc=BI3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwz42xBhB9EiwA48pT7_4XXirSSm1U9BSdexeJghtRDK8x-dmBEKZsy_LhzL21KOchdLj24hoCOSQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Depending on your budget, here's a nice kit with driver, drill and SDS drill.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/makita-dlx4138t01-18v-3-x-5-0ah-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-4-piece-combi-kit/966xt

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

get yourself a a half decent cordless for run of the mill stuff and pick up a cheap SDS like this for heavy duty stuff.

I got one of these in Argos ( must be about 10 years ago now thinking if it fails in a year or two I won't care.

Still going strong.

It'll drill walls effortlessly and I've even knocked a wall with it.

Comes with Drills bits and chisels for kango work.

Mighty yoke for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

Very expensive choices there - I guess it depends on how much you are going to use it.

I have a cordless - B&Q

and a Corded which I rarely use now.

For most Wall Plugs etc. the cordless is fine - also use it for screwdriver function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Personally for home use I'd recommend Lidl Parkside stuff, always well priced and with a 3 or 5 year warranty. I know a few lads using them on sites now as they're far less likely to be stolen than Makita/Dewalt.

Avoid the X12V cordless stuff though as I find them a bit under powered at 12V, any X20V cordless stuff or plug ins have been great for me.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Can't go wrong with Lidl or Aldi power tools and the 3 year warranty. I've stuck with Aldi the last few years but then this week Lidl did the 20v drill with battery and charger for 50 euro so I grabbed that, the cordless grinder for 30 euro was on my list too but that was sold out.

The young lad spent a couple of hundred on Dewalt stuff from B&Q and so far they have twice delivered an impact driver instead of the drill he ordered and they are shocking to deal with, he paid in full over 5 weeks ago and still hasn't got what he ordered.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
Advertisement