Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keith Finnegan's replacement on Galway Bay Fm

Options
  • 17-04-2024 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

A 26 year old name John Morley has taken over the midmorning current affairs show on Galway Bay Fm. From the very small bit I've heard of him, he seems to be an old head on young shoulders/Barry Lenihan clone type of lad but I'd still seriously question giving the gig to someone at least 10 years younger than the iradio schedule of DJS. The GBfm audience is 55+ and are very unlikely to relate to someone who was in secondary school less than a decade ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

To be fair, most of their day time schedule has had a decades-overdue refresh in the last couple of years. All of the presenters from 7am to 7pm are now under 30 I’d say. Whether that appeals to their audience, which I agree is the 55+ age range, I don’t know. Also, fair play to them I guess for going for a younger lad, give him a chance, make the gig is own, rather than giving it to some obvious old fart. He does sound older than his years, from the brief bits I’ve heard of him.

I’d say as long as they generally stick to their bread and butter staples - death notices, parish pump politics and GAA coverage, they’ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

this Morley lad was previously doing news on MWR FM and also filled in for Keith Finnegan over the past 18 months since moving to GB FM.

A big name around the West for decades, was Finnegan's retirement expected?

Radio people like him seem to go on forever and not many from the 1989 local legals have retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shan Doras

Finnegan was replaced as CEO & PD in 2021 without any public announcement and word is the new management in there and himself never saw eye to eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

all the retiring local presenters were in their twenties in 1989. If it was good enough for them it’s good enough now

• Advertisement
Advertisement