Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billion Graves charging to view headstone photos!

Options
  • 17-04-2024 1:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per the title I've just tried to view headstone photos on billiongraves.com and been met with a message telling me I can either contribute 250 transcriptions or 500 photos to the site or else I have to pay a monthly or yearly subscription to view them.

What do ye think of that???

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

oh dear that is a bit much! How long would the 500 photos last for? I use Findagrave where I have uploaded various relatives but although had subscribed to Billiongraves, I have not used it. Is there a geographical difference between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fraoch333

That's a pity, yet another subscription.

From doing some transcriptions on findagrave, I think I'd find it easier to upload 500 photos rather than do 250 transcriptions from photos that others have taken. Good point cobham, regarding how long the subscription would last with 500 photos.

I mainly use findagrave, and although I've uploaded a lot more than 500 photos there, I hope Ancestry don't decide to follow billiongraves' lead. I've been happy to fulfil photo requests on findagrave as much as I can, and volunteers have very kindly taken photos for me too. I wouldn't like to see that change to a subscription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes I have had some excellent responses from volunteers to Findagrave. Really there would be a lot of work to be done uploading that amount of records, not just the actual photograph. Hopefully ones already put up would count….

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fraoch333

There certainly would be a lot of work involved in uploading that amount of records.

I just looked to see if I could find the cost of a subscription for billiongraves. It looks like the cost is $5 per month for an annual subscription, or $10 for access for one month.

There is an article, from 2 years ago, on the billiongraves graves blog that says you can earn a billiongraves plus subscription, for one month, by uploading 2,500 photos, or by doing 500 transcriptions! The uploading or transcribing has to be done in one month. I'd definitely prefer to spend this time doing research rather than uploading for billiongraves.

Advertisement