Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Pump Only Works on Cold

Options
  • 17-04-2024 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I have recently moved into a new house and the pump for the shower only activates when the temperature in the shower is cold.
    Once I turn the dial too much, the pump stops and only a small amount of water comes out.

Is there any simple checks I can do before possibly getting someone to look at it?
    The pump is a Salamander CT54 XTRA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

Shower pumps are normally activated by a flow switch, so it sounds like yours is faulty.

However it might be worth running it on full hot for several minutes to see if you get any air bubbles out of the system.

Is the pump for the shower only or does it also feed the taps?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Hey, I think its just for the shower. The pump never activates for the taps, only when the cold tap on the shower is on. Is there a way for me to check the flow switch easily? Or is this a job for a professional?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The type of pump you have is for a shower only I believe:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/salamander-pumps-ct54xtrasf-regenerative-twin-shower-pump-1-5bar/575kx

The manual appears to be included on that link too incase there is troubleshooting tips in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It sounds like a blocked filter on the hot side of the shower or else a faulty thermostatic cartridge in the shower

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

turn off the pump power and run the shower on just hot for a few minutes (if the pump is also connected to the bath taps, turn the hot on there as well). this should clear out any air locks. then try turning the power back on while the water is running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm not overly familiar with this exact pumps but I have had issues in the past with pumps and always the hot side. What I found was the flow switches were degrading from the hot water. The plastic on the flow magnet on the hot side was cracking, this meant the magnet would swell and rust. Then it would jam...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's likely to be the flow switch on the hot side. If you have a strong magnet handy, and if the location of the reed switch on the hot side can be determineed, you can bring the magnet close to the reed switch, trying various orientations, and if the pump turns on then it's likely the activating magnet is getting stuck internally.

On a stuart turner, the flow switch is a brass pipe section with a plastic coated magnet on the inside, which sinks to the off position due to gravity. When the tap is opened, water flows in at the bottom, lifting the magnet up the brass tube to where a reed switch is clamped on the outside of the brass tube, which then activates due to the magnetic field of the magnet.

Advertisement