Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior of house, oil based or water based paint?

Options
  • 16-04-2024 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭

I'm painting the exterior of my house which includes:

• Painting concrete window sills (white)
    • Painting over brick work (white)
    • Painting wooden frames around 2nd floor windows (black)
    • Painting wooden frames around front door (white)

Is water-based the way to go, or should oil-based be used for the wooden sections?

The house is east-west facing so can get bright sunshine for half the day. It's also near the coast, but not directly at the coast (2 streets away) if that's a factor.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well, all masonry/brickwork would use water based. But your may find that if the wooden frames were previously painted with oil based paint, that water based might bead on them.

I prefer oil based for that sort of work; water based can dry quickly outdoors, making maintaining a wet line more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭karlitob

I would do acrylic water based for brick / concrete. And oil based for wood. There are other products that I would add for extra adhesion.

Have a look at this.

https://www.paperturn-view.com/?pid=ODc8797905

I’d also suggest giving them a ring - they literally could not be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've no idea what the prev painter used, so it might possibly have been oil.

I'll go with the suggestion to use oil for wood, thanks.

Advertisement