Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing snapped button-hinge of VW key fob?

Options
  • 16-04-2024 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I replaced the black shell of the key fob before but I just put the key and whatever it was connected to into the new shell.

As per the picture the key has now snapped off the metal coloured plastic button-hinge mechanism. Is this something I could still replace and repair on my own or does it need to go in somewhere?

Looking at some key fobs on eBay or this one on Amazon they seem to come with dummy keys, but I am not sure if I can fit my key into the mechanism or if it is intended you would take that from your existing broken fob?

2007 Golf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

And the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭jucko

i fixed mine, involved a new case, transferr stuff over, then get a jeweller to remove pin holding blank key and replace with your one.

best of luck

Thanks, I wonder what the jeweller used exactly.

Edit: Just found a video, there's a pin that needs to be popped out, which should be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Marlay

Very recently had to do this with mine. Took the metal hinge part from a replacement fob. Knocked out the pin (hammer and small screwdriver bit) and removed the blank key. Problem I had was that the groove on the original blade didn't match exactly with the hole in the replacement, so had to drill so that I could tap the new pin into place. A circlip pliers was really useful to get the fob apart.

I didn't switch the blade to the new fob so that I could avoid having to try and swap transponders over.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

€45 in local locksmith to get mine sorted a couple of months ago. It looks like your key is alright but the socket it fits into is snapped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

local hardware store which is a locksmith replaced the casing and cut the key. cast about 40 euro, button rubber was perished on mine.

Yeah, key is pristine, and I can still start the car if I sit it into the broken part of the fob just right.

Thanks for all of the replies, I am going to chance my arm ordering a new fob for €10 and replacing to see if I can save €45!

Advertisement