Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get out of my department/role?

Options
  • 16-04-2024 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. I came into the civil service on the HEO ICT stream 5 years ago. I was first put into a position in a small enough department in Dublin city centre and did mostly administrative stuff like procurement and looked after inventory but basically no ICT work. A position came up for an ICT job in another department which I got and started there 2 years ago.

This role is even worse as again I'm doing nothing ICT related really, and for the most part nothing at all. I'm actually losing my mind as I have zero work to do 99% of the time. The work just isn't there for me as contractors do all the actual work and I just go to pointless meetings with higher grade people.

I got a degree in Information Systems management a couple of years ago that I did part time and I'm now doing a post-grad H Dip in Data Analytics, which I really love, and about the finish the first year. So I feel I'm capable of much more.

My current department actually does a lot of very important interesting work in the field of data analytics so I would really love to get involved. I corresponded with HR who told me I have to be in a position for 3 years to be considered for internal mobility.

Has anyone managed to move before the 3 years?

2 mobility positions on the ICT stream came up in recent months but I wasn't successful in getting them. I had an interview for one of them a couple of weeks ago that lasted about 15 minutes and they didn't even ask me any questions, it was very odd, just left it to me to do all the talking. Anyway not getting that job has broke me and I'm determined to get out of my current situation.

I would quit if I could but I have responsibilities and bills to pay and I don't think I'd get a job elsewhere anyway at this stage as I've been doing f**k all for 4 years now.

Have you ever been in this situation and managed to get out? Any advice welcomed thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,535 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think if you are only in 5yrs you're not in long enough for the pension holding you in the CS.

Because you have qualifications and in the process of getting more I would consider jumping to the private sector. Seem to be the case is harder to get promoted or transferred than it is to leave and get the same promotion position somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stuckinafunk

Well I was 4 years in an EO role previous to this, I managed a busy IT helpdesk in a busy department and really enjoyed it for the most part. I had IT experience in the private sector and other qualifications so that enabled me to go for HEO ICT but it's just been an utter disaster since promotion. A feature of the civil service I've noticed is that they just take people on that they don't need, and you end up with people losing their minds and unhappy as they're doing nothing or not using whatever skillset they have. I'd like to finish my current H Dip before considering the private sector, so another year at least, but it's looking like that might be my only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Ted222

Your experience is typical of many in the civil service. I was there for over 30 years. It’s unlikely to change in the short term. Sections never surrender staff because they would never get them again if things got busier. Neither would your manager appreciate you going to HR saying you’ve nothing to do. That won’t end well.

Here’s my advice. Tough it out for the next year until you finish your studies. In parallel, work on your escape plan. Build a network of contacts on the “outside” starting with the consultants you deal with every day. See what it is they do and what skills they bring and get into that frame of mind. Be a little bit pushy. Don’t wait to be told what to do.

If you’re underused, surely this is a great opportunity to study for your exams. Use the time wisely. Look and sound busy even when you’re not but use the time for your own benefit if it’s not required elsewhere. Beyond this, do every online course available and take advantage of the many other training courses available.

In a year’s time, you’ll be better qualified and more experienced to make an informed decision as to whether you want to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,535 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well then you've 9 yrs in, that a bit harder to justify.

I think in that case see what comes up on PublicJobs.ie. You can transfer your service from CS to Public Sector. As Ted says keep working on the qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

good advice above from Ted222- only other thing to add is talk internally to more senior people and try and learn how they arrived at their position and what it took to get there - you’re obviously more motivated than the current role allows- great use that time wisely as there will be busy times ahead and no doubt new opportunities -also watch internal politics- no matter how difficult try and exhibit a positive frame of mind to colleagues and managers- you may need their support to get going to the next level

• Advertisement
Advertisement