Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda Skyactiv

Options
  • 14-04-2024 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Missus is looking for a new car, looking at Mazda 3/CX3 or 6/CX5 around €10,000

What are the 2.0 and 1.5 petrol engines like in these, I've heard they're reliable

Any other issues with the above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Damien360

Have a quick check on the motors forum. The Mazda 2.2 diesel engine was shocking poor. It can starve itself if oil and bye bye engine. Google Mazda low oil pressure problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I'm well aware of the diesels issues.

Have a look at my post there and read it again when you get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭User1998

Mazda petrols are very reliable. We have an 11 year old 1.3 in the house with around 130k km. Its only ever needed oil & filters.

Great that's what I wanted to hear.

So the pre skyactiv G are decent too?

Would be looking at something like this

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda2-2-0-se-120bhp-5dr/36736916

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think there are any major problems with the petrol engines but they were not a huge seller here. No turbo to worry about but they are not very powerful for a 2.0 litre and you have to rev them hard to get them moving. No idea on fuel economy.

BTW here is a cheaper one:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2014-mazda-3/36462474

I'd doubt the dealer warranty on a 10 year old car is worth 2k more.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

I had a 1.5 skyactiv petrol in my 2017 mx5 which in fairness was flawless in the 3/4 years I owned it. Serviced it myself with Mazda oil/filter.

Was a great car and engine and never cost me a cent or gave hassle outside of its service (which I did every 10k KMs). The oil was a bit expensive as it is 0/20w but a service cost me no more than €100 and was an easy diy in the drive.

I see that yeah there aren't many of them for sale. Lack of a turbo probably contributes to the reliability. Maybe not I'd just be wary about private sellers. Suppose same can be said for dealers

Yeah I'd be doing most maintenance and repairs myself which massively reduces cost.

Why is the oil so thin do you know? Fuel economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭timbel

Had a 2009 Mazda 6 petrol for 9 years until it recently failed NCT due to corrosion on subframe.

When I looked it up I found it was a common problem on that model and a failure at the manufacturing stage.

Not sure what year you are looking at or if it was an issue withe the 3 also but definitely check the underside I would say.

For me it was an uneconomic repair, which was a real pity as the engine never gave me a days trouble - was bullet proof.

Tended to be a bit thirsty on petrol but the 3 will likely be less so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I only just purchased a Sky-X 2021 Mazda3. Love the car so far. I had a Focus ST previously so while it is a step down in some respects the Mazda is still lovely to drive @185BHP. The reason I got it…price and the reliability for high milage that I do. Newer SkyActive models have been getting good reviews generally once taken care of.

Advertisement