Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel prepaid debit card - where to buy instore

Options
  • 14-04-2024 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a prepaid debit card for travel (EU). I need to pick one up ASAP, so signing up for the likes of An Post, Revolut card not an option as it would take a few days.

Is there anything I could buy instore anywhere (shop, banks etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭OrangeLavender

You can get a virtual Revolut card straight away once you have done all the verification steps to set up your account. I have mine added to my google wallet so you would be able to use it by tapping without needing to wait for the physical card to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you are desperate and willing to pay 2.95% of transaction value (Min €0.75, Max €2.95) each time you pay something, than Swirl Card can be purchased for 5.95€ and loaded (another fee applies) at payzone vendors or via bank transfer (free).

BUT you also need to create an account online which requires you to go through KYC process (passport, utility bill etc.) and there are significant limits on the amounts you can load and spend, if I recall correctly, it's 1000€ a day.

But you could use a virtual card from Revolut or Wise or Bunq via Apple Pay/Google Pay which can be issued within seconds in their Apps and loaded quite quickly and more cost effective. Most hotels/vendors in the EU accept those electronic cards quite fine.

Bunq offers a free virtual card that is coded as credit card (rather than debit) if you have a savings account plan, so there is no cost and it's available once you have passed the KYC process. So the money you have on the virtual card account is the limit of the card which is usefull for hotels, car rental etc. That is an advantage over revolut and wise which are coded as debit card.

So, it really depends on why you need a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Can you not walk into a post office and pick one up there? I got one a few weeks ago in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Oh, that is interesting as I thought an post card had to be signed up to and there was waiting time. And you were able to get that card there and then and top it up? It's needed for a holiday abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Excellent, didn't cop that at all! Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

But be aware that on the Currency Card from AnPost you get in the post office (or online) you pay every time you pay something in Euro: There is a charge of 1.25% on euro currency purchases.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OK, but note that a debit card is not the same as a credit card and may not be accepted for all transactions….

Advertisement