Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.7crdi Kia optima engine (high mileage)

Options
  • 13-04-2024 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

considering buying a 2017 Kia optima with 200000km, priced at €12500. Main Kia dealer selling with 6 months warranty. Car has a full main dealer service history. This particular main dealer sold the car from new and maintained it.
    Should I be wary of buying this car with such high mileage? Was serviced regularly with main dealer. Any ideas what these 1.7 crdi diesel engines are like reliability wise?

Do ye think I could do better with my €12500k? Reliability is what I’m looking for above anything else.

Thoughts?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Think the newer 1.6d is regarded as a better engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Newer 1.6d has its fair share of problems too, a good few failing that are fitted to a few Hyundai also. Biggest issue with the 1.7 is the clutch and gearbox which tend to be made of chocolate. Original clutch failed on my BIL's 171 Optima after less than a year and Kia initially didn't want to replace it under warranty blaming the driver. Car had been generally trouble free after that but there is about 230k km on it now and the gearbox is now notchy between certain gears. Thankfully the car is owned by his company and due to be replaced shortly.

So there is no set rule around reliability on any car with 200k km on it. What's covered under the dealer warranty? I'd imagine it's probably only engine and gearbox on a car with that mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭goochy

If reliability is your main concern . A 200 k km car is a bad start regardless of car ..you will get repair bills guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Kealyboy

yea that’s true enough lads thanks. I bought a 191 5 series BMW with 104000km on the clock. Purchased for €34000. Nothing but trouble since I got it engine management light coming on multiple times even after I brought it back and they changed the Nox sensor. issue also with automatic lights flashing randomly during the day time. Return car and got a full refund. Suppose having a premium expensive car with relatively low mileage doesn’t guarantee reliability either. I am just looking for a diesel car cheap and cheerful just to do me for around 4/5 years until I buy an electric car. Very reluctant to buy electric now getting very bad press and infrastructure isn’t there yet either. So I was just looking for a car now that was cheap and would get me by for a few years..

I don’t mind repair bills, they are to be expected once they don’t run into the thousands. I’m hoping kia Optima is relatively cheap to repair compared to more premium brand cars.

• Advertisement

Well then reliability isn't your main concern

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Back Home

I was in the market for one of those, was yours diesel or hybrid. What other problems did you have besides the ones you listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭User1998

If you want cheap and cheerful buy a Toyota

Do you really need a diesel? What about a Toyota Prius? Automatic, great fuel economy and reliability. Comfortable car too.

Alright smart arse!! a few hundred quid here and there ain’t going to kill me. When I talk about reliability I mean major malfunction of engine, gearbox and transmission etc

• Advertisement

I was considering a Toyota Corolla either…

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lotsobear

Lexus?

A few hundred quid here and there isn't reliability

Advertisement