Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you last wear out a pair of shoes or runners

Options
  • 13-04-2024 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭

So I am sitting here looking at the soles on my runners and I can see that in parts I have worn through the black sole and white cushion part is showing through and it got me thinking to when was the last time that I actually wore a pair of shoes or runners till either the sole came off or I wore a hole in the sole and as I far as I can remember it has to be back to the 90's.

Folks who grew up in the 70's and 80's may remember getting new shoes or runners at Christmas, Easter and back to school with exceptions made for special occasions like making your Communion or Confirmation and god forbid if you wore them out before those occasions. I know growing up I would have worn runners and shoes with the holes in them, some times with the sole hanging off that would be glued on. Now the shoes or runners would have been bought in Dunnes as well, none of these fancy Nike or Adidas shoes. I remember being sent to the show repair shop to have new soles put on shoes, I was never lucky enough to the metal caps on the heels of shoes like George webbs.

So can you remember wearing shoes or runners till they fell off your feet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I'm from the generation that would have worn shoes with holes and only got new shoes for school. I only buy shoes when a pair wears out, and my ASICS gel from 1999 still have not worn out. I have a pair of runners, shoes for work, walking shoes, winter boots, a fancy pair of working boots and sandals for the summer. I have a friend who has the same runners in 3 colours, and buys footwear at least monthly, I just don't see the need. My current working shoes are 4 years old, they haven't even needed new heels yet, and I will replace them when the polish refuses to hold them together.

Advertisement