Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Alcoholic Beer for slug traps, or other advice

Options
  • 13-04-2024 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone - my partner and I have a large vegetable patch in our garden. Despite the bad weather we managed to start a lot of different veggies off inside, and we are migrating some of the hardier ones outside. The trouble is slugs! Seems the bad weather and heavy rains have allowed them to multiply out of all proportion. I have been going out in the evening and have killed at least 100 of them, but this method is time consuming. Naturally we dont want to use slug pellets. This brings us to the supposed beer traps.

Do they work! We have received mixed messages online, with some claiming they work effectively. Others consider it a myth, along with copper wire, which we tried and found entirely ineffective (the slugs seemed to have no problem slimming all over the copper!!)

Does it matter what beer you use? I dont drink myself, i kinda prefer not to buy the stuff, even for the good cause of getting rid of slugs - would non alcoholic beer work? Regardless of alcoholic content, is there a brand or brew that is preferable.

We are only at the beginning of the growing season and its already a big problem, which i can only assume will get worse. So any advice is greatly appreciated

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

EditEdit: II givegive upup, boatdsboards iis aa messmess tontonight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

https://www.reddit.com/r/GardeningUK/s/zM0bDkFge7

Sounds like its killing the wrong slugs from that link, also attracting ones from other gardens.

Post edited by Thargor on

Advertisement