Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Local Elections - 7 June 2024

Options
  • 13-04-2024 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭

The Local elections are less than 2 months away so presumably many of the candidates have been nominated and registered at this stage.

A reminder that the boundaries of Cork City were expanded just before the last election in 2019. We still have the same 5 constituencies: 3 in the south side and 2 in the north.

The councilors elected last time from each of those were:

North East

• Kenneth O'Flynn (FF) since joined the new Independent Ireland party
    • John Daniel Maher (Lab)
    • Ger Keohane (Ind)
    • Joe Kavanagh (FG)
    • Oliver Moran (GP)
    • Ted Tynan (WP)

North West

• Tony Fitzgerald (FF)
    • Thomas Gould (SF) since been elected to the Dail. Co-opted by Mick Nugent
    • Kenneth Collins (SF)
    • Damian Boylan (FG)
    • John Sheehan (FF)
    • Fiona Ryan (SOL-PBP) since resigned. Co-opted by Brian McCarthy

South Central

South East

• Des Cahill (FG)
    • Lorna Bogue (GP) since joined her own new party, An Rabharta Glas
    • Mary Rose Desmond (FF)
    • Terry Shannon (FF)
    • Kieran McCarthy (Ind)
    • Deirdre Forde (FG)

South West

• Derry Canty (FG)
    • Fergal Dennehy (FF)
    • Colette Finn (GP)
    • Colm Kelleher (FF)
    • Garret Kelleher (FG)
    • Thomas Moloney (Ind)
    • Henry Cremin (SF)

No idea how many of those are going to be running in June but perhaps others, more familiar, can confirm and also mention any interesting candidates that are confirmed to be running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Oh and Election Posters can go up from the 8th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

As far as I know, Mick Finn is not running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Going by the leaflets left in my letter box, two candidates for Cork NW are:

Louise Jordan (GP)

Michelle Gould (SF)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2024/02/20/for-those-not-about-to-rock-we-salute-you-county-and-city-councillors-who-will-be-stepping-down-at-the-2024-local-elections/#more-20716

always worth keeping an on Adrian Kavanagh’s page if you’re interested in it. The above example he’s pulled together a list of all non standing existing councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bielsa2020

it’s high time election posters were done away with. They’re all eye sores, adds to litter, not exactly environmentally friendly and do any of us actually decide who we’re voting on based on a poster?? They’re not cheap either so I’m surprised they’re still a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 2k9cian2k9

I would totally agree! Same goes for the leaflets they put through the letterbox. 9 in total in over the past month of which every single one went straight into the recycling. Absolute waste of money, increases litter and refuse. My vote will be based on what the candidates actually do and deliver for the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Well, what’s the alternative? Not everyone is online / on X / on Facebook etc, so social media won’t get your campaign to everyone.

I know some countries on the continent have walls for pasted posters around, but idk if this is complimented with leaflet drops.

We’ve had a small handful of leaflets in. One came from a National Party or Ireland First type fella. I’m sure without coincidence it was dropped in the middle of the night when no one would have been awake to challenge them…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I came home a few weeks ago to find a leaflet from one of those "patriot" types. Not giving him any publicity but he's a convicted burglar and drug dealer with no ties to the electoral ward and the name hes running under isn't his real one.

Think the only other leaflet through the letterbox was for someone running for the Workers Party, I didn't even know they were still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've gotten leaflets in the door from Sin Fein and The Greens, despite having a, "no junk mail", sign. They don't seem to accept that their leaflets do not have a name or address on them, so are junkmail!

Yeah I don't really get the disgruntlement with the posters and leaflets. The posters almost all go up and come down in the space of a month. As for the leaflets - it's hardly a great imposition to put it in the bin if you're not interested.

One of the most difficult things for candidates, especially new ones, is to gain name recognition. Mass leafletting is a sure fire way to get your name out there. Even if only 5% read it that's still going to be more efficient than pretty much any other use of resources (obviously they're also going to be door knocking, attending debates and all of the other things that are the mainstay of any campaign).

My sister isn't interested in politics but she always votes as she see's it as her civic duty. She is the archetypal floating voter. On the day of the 2020 general election I saw her spread all of the leaflets out on her kitchen table and read through them before deciding who she was going to vote for. People like her are the reason why these are still a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

A ban will suit incumbents. Annoys me to see tidy town groups force a no-poster policy. It's undemocratic (not their job, not their place) but also smacks of an agreement, by those who have seats and a profile, to keep out other candidates, especially those in smaller parties or less-established groupings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tidy Towns are starting to demand even larger no poster areas. Many of the individual groups across the country are politically connected so yes, there is a huge smell of trying to protect sitting candidates from it.

Whatever about banning leaflet drops, they could respect, "no junk mail", signs.

@Brussels Sprout ,"As for the leaflets - it's hardly a great imposition to put it in the bin if you're not interested."

That, entirely, misses the point!

The thing is classifying campaign leaflets as junk mail in the run-up to an election is entirely subjective. Personally I wouldn't classify that as junk mail. Clearly you would.

If you're that bothered about it, just stick a temporary note on your letterbox for the next month saying "No election material".

Anything that doesn't have a name and address on it is junk mail. (actual local or national government notices excepted)

In your opinion. "Junk mail" is a vague term.

If your notice instead said "No unsolicited mail" then I'd agree that they shouldn't be posting their leaflet in there but as it stands they probably don't agree that it's junk mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,087 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

If everyone else in the South East could NOT vote for Terry fúcking Shannon this time, (or ever again, really) that'd be absolutely swell.

Sound.

Advertisement