Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Aeration

Options
  • 13-04-2024 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi

My lawn has heavy compact soil and due to this it it very wet especially after the amount of rain this winter so I'm going to dedicated some time and tlc on it this year.

I was thinking of aerating, scarifying, applying some lawn sand then top dress and over seed.

I found the garden fork to work very well for aeration but my garden is fairly large and this is extremely time consuming.

I was looking at the shoe spike but I feel initially I need deeper holes and a little wider, for future aeration the lawn the show spikes would be fine but I initially want to get as much lawn sand into the lawn first time around to hopefully improve the soil structure and drainage.

The hollow manual aerators I fear my soil is going to be too compact and the plugs won't pass through which will result in me having to manually keep clearing the plug holes.

Any recommendations on a good manually or motorised aerator that would remove soil plugs, or if anyone knows where to rent a motorised aerator in the Waterford area?

French drains, soak aways are out of the question at the moment regarding drainage.

Advertisement