Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pause Motor Insurance

Options
  • 13-04-2024 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to pause Motor insurance for a while, say 3 or 4 months and resume afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Yes it is. Insurers will require you to return the certificate and disc to effect a suspension. Normally credit will not be allowed for periods less than a month. Many insurers do not allow suspension credit in the 1st year with them. Also, if you are paying by direct debit, you must keep the payments going. Credit will be allowed when cover is reinstated. Note that all cover gets suspended, including fire & theft

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

Fire and theft is still in operation on many policies when the driving element is suspended.

This is why they give about 75% credit for the suspended time rather than 100%

In reality the op just simply needs to key into Google "car insurance suspension" and the name of their insurance company to get the information. Can't see why they couldn't do that basic task in the first place 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

My mum recently queried pausing hers, as she'd be away 4 months at a time and insurance company told her they don't pause it if she's not using it as it would still need fire and theft cover.

As for the Google comment. We cold all do that but we're obviously not all genius..

Its better to ask for advice, Google can't be sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

I'd trust Googling to the correct page on the specific insurance company website to give correct information than guesses on a forum.

With the op not providing the insurance company, then it is absolutely impossible to provide correct information as different companies have different policies.

Of course the op could be really clever and read the policy documents that came with the policy. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Maintaining fire & theft is not an excuse for refusing to suspend third part cover. Which is where most of your premium goes. I suspect your mother was insured via one of the well known intermediary companies like 123 or its4women. And they just couldn't be bothered processing the paperwork involved.

If you're dealing direct, suspending the policy should not be a problem, as outlined by (former industry-insider) Eggs for Dinner in post #2 above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fire & Theft is operable on my policy when road cover is suspended.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's covered in the current Zurich policy document ..

Rebate for Laying Up

If notice is given to the Insurer that the Insured Vehicle is to be laid up and out of use (other than as a result of loss or damage which may be the subject of indemnity under this Policy) third party liability cover can be suspended.

The current Certificate(s) and Disc(s) of Motor Insurance must be returned to the Insurer and suspension of third party liability cover will only be effective from the date these documents are received by the Insurer. If the period of suspension is more than thirty consecutive days the Insurer will refund to the Insured a sum equal to seventy-five per cent of the rateable proportion of the premium for such period.

Advertisement