Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suzuki vitara hybrid for 20k sterling - would br 30k here living in uk until Dec 3025 - is this wort

Options
  • 13-04-2024 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I have been quoted 20k sterling for new Susuki Vitara hybrid Nhs staff fiscount included - - equivalent to about 23700 euros - they are 30k in Ireland. I will be living in UK until May 2025 ' I.presume I won't owe any VRT or customs on it when I transfer my residence back to Ireland in 2025. I am buying thus car as my own Kia Pucanto has 90km on it and as I've gotten older I find my night vision has worsened - I wear glasses for driving - and being so low to the ground in a small car makes thr issue worse. My partner has a Ford Kuga with blind spot warning, 360 camera and forward collusion warning , and find it much easier with higher driving position at night. Any comments on the Suzuki Vitara from thus perspective would also be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Miscreant

AFAIK you week still be liable for customs. The 6 month rule is only for VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Thanks for letting me know that. I wasn't aware of this. How much would customs likely to be then? My Kia Picanto I brought from Ireland with me, and imported it into the UK. I presume there won't be any cost to bringing that back once I return from the UK and transfer my residence back to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

This dude is gonna be in the UK until 3025.I don't believe he thinks in 6 month timeframes.

If your using Transfer of Residency you pay €0 VRT and €0 customs. Previous poster is incorrect.

If your not using Transfed of Residency, you pay 35.3% import duties and whatever the VRT is. You can check the VRT on the VRT calculator.

I can assure you that importing a car from UK to Ireland will not work out for you financially if your not using Transfer of Residency. You can only use TOR once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

it is not true to say that you can only use transfer of residency once. It is based on the facts about whether you have actually transferred residency. Revenue internal guidance requires inspectors to check whether it has been availed of in the previous 5 years as a compliance check. As a rule of thumb, they expect no more than 5 cars to be brought in one a TOR. I brought in two on mine.

I know you can bring in more than one car, I wasn’t aware you could use the exemption every 5 years tho. What I meant is OP can’t use TOR for their current car and then a year later in 2025 use it for their second car.

Thanks all for replies. It is TOR will be using. My current car I brought with me under TOR to the UK 18 moths ago when I moved there. I will be moving back to Ireland in either May or December next year. I will be transferring my residence back permanently to Ireland, so I wi have only used TOR once each way

My current car will be traded in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

actually you must bring the car in within 12 months of the transfer - not for a new car obviously but for one which was owned. Plus a I am not saying that you can only avail of it every 5 years. You can avail of it when you validly form a foreign residential status and the. Return. It would be very rare circumstances where this could be established twice over 5 years without raising questions for many people as to where their residence was for this purpose (which is not the same as income tax). The general issue for families is that they would rarely make 4 moves over that period without cutting all personal times which might suggest that there had not been a change of residence. Ireland cannot set a 5 year or similiar rule - they cannot tax goods intra EU on a valid change of residence (freedom of movement).

• Advertisement
Advertisement