Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a rental agent make problems for a tenant they don't like?

Options
  • 12-04-2024 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Say a tenant was in a residence for a good amount of time, say three years, so they do have some RTB rights.

But just imagine the tenant had a falling out with the rental agent over something personal.

Could the rental agent make life for the tenant difficult, potentially serve an eviction or some kind of work-around into doing so?

Basically, tenant falls out with rental agent on a personal level, but is a model tenant in every other way re looking after their residence, rent paid on time etc.

What should said tenant subsequently be aware of re tricks being pulled by the rental agent, or something they may do to make the tenants life difficult?

In physics we trust....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

….

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Any tenant who pays rent when due, doesn't cause any damage to the rental property and doesn't engage in antisocial behaviour has nothing to fear from any rental agent.

If an agent was prepared to go over and above to mess with said tenant however?

Just as an example, a few years ago I knew a dude who was a good tenant for years. But he started to neglect residence upkeep.

I have no idea how the agent even found out about it, but they successfully served him an eviction notice.

So if an agent wanted to mess with a tenant, could they potentially fabricate something to that effect?

Or simply relay spurious information to the landlord that they're a problem tenant in some capacity, as a means to cause issues with their tenancy?

There's no way they could do that? (again, provided in reality the tenant is a model tenant, etc.)

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nobody can give a definitive answer here.

There are good and bad agents just like in every other job.

It's not in their professional interest to put out a good tenant.

Also you could open a case with the RTB and cause problems for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Only the owner can decide on a notice of termination.

• Advertisement

The agent could start contriving stories and push for that though, start putting ideas in the landlords head, no?

I mean, if they really felt like they wanted to make the tenants life difficult?

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Augme

The answer is yes they could. Now, whether they would actually do it and how likely it is that they would do it are also two separate questions.

James Lowe could pull down his shorts and take a **** on the midline, but that doesn’t mean he is going to do it. There are only a few reasons that a LL can legally terminate a tenancy, they are not going to do that unless they have a very good reason.

If there were unreasonable disputes raised, the RTB would be one mediating body.

psr.ie/

Anyone hear of these or familiar with their work?

I just want to be prepared for any and every eventuality.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

If the rental agent is working for the landlord, then it's less likely they're going to mess about with a tenant just because of some personal issue; if the landlord found out their agent was taking the piss like that with a decent tenant, the agent would likely be given the boot in short order. Similarly, if the "rental agency" is also the landlord (e.g. a corporate landlord), then you'd be talking about an employee of the agency messing around, which probably wouldn't please their employer. If by "rental agent" you mean a private landlord themselves, though, then having an antagonistic relationship with your landlord is usually not going to be a fun or pleasant experience.

As to what they "could" do, that would be pretty much anything, from just ignoring or slow-walking maintenance requests or passive-aggressively performing invasively frequent "inspections" to making up spurious reasons (e.g. anti-social behaviour) to give a notice of termination. Again, the latter is somewhat less likely if this is just an agency, as they would then have to explain to the landlord why they've gone and tried to give the landlord's tenant the boot without discussing the matter with them, but it's always possible they could be lying to the landlord as well. Whether they'd actually do any of that is another question, of course.

• Advertisement

Rental agents and estate brokers?

Maybe the experience of you all differs from mine, but from what I gather they can stoop to some fairly depraved lows.

If such a situation did arise, I wonder would contacting the landlord directly to explain matters be appropriate, or seen as a "faux pas" in the rental business?

Either way, protection for tenant comes in the way of RTB liaison?

And I'm interested in this psr.ie link? Though don't know much about it.

Several things you describe in your post, I know this rental agency has essentially "inflicted" that upon former tenants already.

ignoring or slow-walking maintenance requests or passive-aggressively performing invasively frequent "inspections" to making up spurious reasons (e.g. anti-social behaviour) to give a notice of termination. Again, the latter is somewhat less likely if this is just an agency, as they would then have to explain to the landlord why they've gone and tried to give the landlord's tenant the boot without discussing the matter with them, but it's always possible they could be lying to the landlord as well.

If the above were the case with a tenant, what would the tenants protective strategy be?

Presumably compile evidence it's spurious and liaise with the RTB to rectify matters?

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shimadzu

What did you do OP to have you fearful of a reprisal from the agent? It must have been fairly bad if you have not detailed why the agent might have a grievance with you.

Most agents would be proficient in ending a tenancy or encouraging a tenant to end a tenancy while remaining compliant with applicable laws. Agents tend to be less involved than a landlord so it would generally take more effort on the part of the tenant to end up in the situation you appear to be preparing yourself for.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

In smaller towns paths can cross easily - I've seen major personal disputes start over a bad tackle in a gaa game and within weeks both parties were at loggerheads and exchanging insults in public. (Cahir)

for the OP, you will have details of the owner. If the agent does create any issues simply make contact with the owner directly and explain the unconnected personal grievance and say that it is causing a problem.

Doubt anyone is surprised that goes on in Cahir.

you will have details of the owner. If the agent does create any issues simply make contact with the owner directly and explain the unconnected personal grievance and say that it is causing a problem.

It occurred to me.

Details would be on the rental contrast presumably?

If things go sideways, it's one option I guess.

In physics we trust....

Most agents would be proficient in ending a tenancy or encouraging a tenant to end a tenancy while remaining compliant with applicable laws

What would there methods be?

Anyone?

In physics we trust....

Anyone have an update on this.

What methods could a rental agent take to terminate a tenancy (unjustifiably, based on disliking the tenant or having a personal dispute with them), whilst remaining compliant with the applicable laws?

And what appropriate measures could a tenant take to address said, by law, unjustified termination?

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

In physics we trust....

Advertisement