If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Retirement Home For My Dad

  • 12-04-2024 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

    Hello all

    so my dad is 70 and lately he has being getting Paranoid and Senile , and i have to think about mayby a retirement home for him as i think he will be unable to look after himself properly.He lives on his own in a flat

    does anyone know how this works , does he have to be referred by is GP first ? or can you approach a retirement home direct and also what are retirement home fees like these days or does the state pay for this

    Kind Regards


  • Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

    Does he want to go into care? Until he has some sort of diagnosis the decision is up to him. As for paying for it take a look at the fair deal scheme.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Stance15

    thanks for the reply , i didnt know about the fair deal scheme and i will have a look

  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

    There is at least one day centre here:

    The first day is the best, you get a series of specialists and so a pretty good evalation. Maybe there's one like that in your area

  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

    If you are based in or near Dublin, Dad's GP could make a referral to the MISA unit in St. James. It's a centre of excellence for older people and evaluates and works with them to improve their lives. My late mother was a recipient of their care for a while, and it is an excellent resource. Free under the public system too.

    "MISA" stands for Mercer's Institute for Successful Aging.

  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Stance15

    thanks for the replys , i presume i will have to make an appointment with is GP to discuss this further or is there other options other than the GP

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Stance15

    i have booked in for a meeting with his GP , should i wait for the assessment from the MISA unit in st james hositpal before sending in the application for the Fair Deal Scheme so i can put a letter with the application , or should i send in the Application now

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

    reach out to your local public health nurse (if you can get hold of them as they’re swamped with work these days)- they will be invaluable to you also especially if you’re waiting any length for a nursing home - they can do a home occupational assessment of what supports your dad may need right now