Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there no UK equivalent of rip.ie ?

Options
  • 12-04-2024 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

IS it an uniquely Irish thing like death notices on every local radio station outside Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't think there is as in UK funerals are kind of invite only to outside the family so details don't need to be widely known plus of course there is the huge delay there between death and funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There is. I can't remember the name but last year we went on it to leave a condolence message - it was £14 to post a message!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

fcking hell. i'd want this kind of service to justify that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I lived in UK for 12 years. They 'do death' very different that we do here. They also do living a good bit different than here… not knowing (or wanting to know) their next door neighbours, etc.

You can be dead a month or more before you're buried. I worked with people who had close family die and go back to work the day after the death and/or the funeral.

Funerals are usually family only. There's no wake, no gathering after the burial, nothing… :(

Given the above, and another guy saying it was £14 to leave a message of condolence, I can't see it being as widely used as RIP.ie is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Irish families in England, it's the same as here as I found with black people, both West Indian and African.

White Anglo Saxon Protestant types, it really is mostly family although I've seen it getting similar more to us in recent years, more turning out at funerals but no way to the levels we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Each of the funerals I've been to in the UK haven't followed a standard apart from people taking longer to get planted or incinerated. I can't remember any of them where there were just family gatherings afterwards, friends were also invited.

The upside is that people like Michael Healy-Rae never showed up to shake hands, in fact there was none of that hand-shaking that goes on in Ireland, nor grieving people sitting in funeral parlours listening to half the town mumbling their condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And what's wrong with that?

Would much prefer, in my time of grief, for the community and wider afield to come around and show support than the closeted British way. A measure of respect.

Jaysis for the sandwiches alone. We are world leaders in funeral hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Funeral attendance in UK is by way of invitation and there is no need to publicly announce details in a newspaper. Such published notices are the basis of RIP. RIP also only accept entries from funeral directors and newspapers also seek confirmation of a death from an undertaker. The UK setup makes it more difficult for genealogy research.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's no similar site to rip.ie in other countries, because few have the same grá for funerals that the Irish do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I worked for a fair amount of funerals in England so I wouldn't agree with the gathering after the funeral but in my own experience.

Neighbours are also no more or less distant than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At my bil's funeral in the UK last year a lot of people turned up, neighbours and people he had known from various groups, even though he had been retired 15 years and sick most of that time. Likewise at my mother's funeral some 10 years ago, a lot of neighbours and friends as well as family.

We decided to celebrate my mother's life, she had no time for gloom and introspection so we wore coloured clothes and had more of a thanksgiving than a funeral. One of the older ladies who had been in a social group with her tutted at me and said that 'some of us would have liked to mourn her properly!'

There was nothing like the spontaneous wake that happened when my husband died (here) which was something that I did appreciate, even though he had been reclusive and had been ill for many years, a good few neighbours, friends and friends of our adult children just came to the house, someone(s) provided food and tidied the place - the last couple of days had been a bit hectic - I was in a haze but the people just turning up was a lovely experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IS Funeral Times just an NI site?

Or does that cover UK as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

www.funeralguide.co.uk & www.funeral-notices.co.uk

I can’t remember which one but about 2 years ago I added a condolence for a cousin of my mothers….

Death over there is a lot more unique and non emotive compared to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

I would say that for protestants, and non-Irish Roman Catholics, the whole funeral process is more "industrial": there isn't the same "marking of passing" - my wife's a souper, so we wouldn't be bothered with a service of remembrance (before body sent back home, "lying in"/"crying chairs", funeral, month's mind, every Tom-Dick-and-Harry turning up, etc, that her Roman Catholic family have organised. I think the Irish Roman Catholic approach to funerals has its roots more in the Celtic/Celtic-Christian tradition than in the Roman-Christian tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It varies. My grandfather had a shortened version of the requiem mass (forget its technical name) which far as I could tell was open to the public, but the cremation committal itself was private.

And yes it extremely unusual for devout catholics of his generation to be cremated but that was his long-standing wishes.

Advertisement