Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going from road bike to electric scooter

Options
  • 12-04-2024 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭

So sold my bike recently after thinking long and hard about it but I've been having issues with my back for years now and recently having problems with my right leg as well!! So decided to quit while I was somewhat ahead.

I don't drive and I've a pain in me arse with public transport so I'm wondering how did people find going from a bike to an e scooter? Ive never used one before but some of the tools out there using them everyday I'm sure I could manage ha!

After doing a bit of research I'm looking at this https://shop.segway.com/ie_en/ninebot-kickscooter-max-g2-e-powered-by-segway.html it would pretty much cost exactly what I got for the bike as well.

I dunno if there will be many of you but I'm looking for the opinions of people who went from one to another or who use both. Whats your experience on the Irish roads with a scooter compared to a bike?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I havnt gone from bike to scooter, but I ride, and my son uses a scooter (in Birmingham) and we compare notes from time to time….

The scooter you have looks great - you need good suspension and pneumatic-type tyres. He (my son) has a solid wheel model (and no suspension) and says he feels every grain of sand on the road and is shaken to bits. And your range looks great too.

On the down side, it seems that scooters get less respect on the road than bikes do. Maybe its the quality of scooter riders in Brumm but his stories beat mine every day! We think its because cars are (sort-of) used to navigating with bikes on the road but not with scooters yet… Scooter riders dont seem to wear helmets or hi-viz either. Some do have lights. So make sure you take care HSIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thanks for the reply and feedback exactly the kinda thing I was looking for! Yeah thats a big issue I think the fact I have plenty of experience seeing how so many of the escooter owners treat the roads paths etc the attitude including my own towards them is usually very negative. Coming from a bike I would be wearing a helmet and using lights and reflective clothing so thats no issue. My main thing would be how it would feel going from bike to scooter and getting the hang of it especially considering the roads in Dublin are not exactly forgiving in many ways!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

From an ergonomics perspective, not sure a scooter will be any better for your leg or back although that is dependent on what the actual issue is and how long your commute is. An e scooter always strikes me as quite rigid with little positional movement for the user. Just a view point though that isn't valid without specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what about an e-bike?

I’ve been on scooters a lot and find that with any small bump they can be a hazard and well our roads are generally bad

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

I am away at the minute and rented a scooter yesterday for the first time for a spin around. One of the rent off your phone by the minute ones. Nippy things. The one thing I was very surprised with was the zero suspension and how noticeable it was. The teeth were nearly shook out of my head at one stage going down a cobbled street and on the main road it still wasn’t great. Presume it was just with the rentals and the private ones have decent suspensions. Either way you wouldn't want to hit a pothole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ill have to get a go of the one my brother has. He's got it good while he be same height as me. The one im looking at that I've mentioned above seems to be built for comfort compared to some models according to the reviews it's very smooth on that road.

My bike to work wouldn't be for another year I can't afford an e bike otherwise.

Thanks for all the replys everyone!

Advertisement