Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New credit card - PTSB or Revolut

Options
  • 12-04-2024 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Im looking to close my BOI account as I don't use it anymore. The only reason I still have it is because I have a credit card with them. I don't use my Credit card 99% of the time. It's basically an emergency back up if other cards aren't working and also as security for car hire (we'd pay for car hire with another card).

Our bricks and mortar bank these days is with PTSB as that's who our mortgage is with, it's become the bills account and my husband gets paid into it. For our day to day spending revolut or N26 is what we use.

One thing that maybe complicates Revolut for me is that I'm a stay at home parent, but would being married and husbands salary negate that? Id like to keep the limit as low as possible so this is a + for Revolut. However the PTSB account is a joint account but they have a higher minimum limit.

Which bank would be the better/easiest to get a new credit card with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Didn't think you needed a BoI current account to have a BoI credit card? Check with your bank and let me know if I'm wrong.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

I have a BOI credit card as a backup but never banked with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

You don't need an account with B of I to have a credit card but I could be the exception. I closed my current account with but kept my credit card.But I'd consider them 2 separate accounts and I did nominate another bank a/c to pay off the cr card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Oh... I'll have a look into that. I just thought you'd need an account with them for payments etc. Itd be so much less effort if I could close the current account and move the direct debit to the PTSB account. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

Current account and credit cards are seperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

That will work just fine. That's the set-up I have and it has never been a problem. You'll continue to use the Bank of Ireland app but just for the credit card.

You can download the direct debit mandate from Bank of Ireland's website. https://www.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/assets/Direct-Debit-Mandate-Form.pdf or look for one directly from the credit card services people. The reason I've mentioned this is to maybe save you time, frustration and confusion. I switched banks several years ago and popped into the local BOI to get a new direct debit mandate form. The person I dealt with insisted that the form could only be obtained from my new bank, not from them. Wrong…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

personally I’d open an instant access demand account with BOI, makes it a bit easier going forward.

Advertisement