Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identify yet another beer ad from the 90s.

Options
  • 12-04-2024 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭

The posts about old beer ads remind me of one that I've been trying to identify. It was for one of the American beers I'm sure, maybe Miller or Coors .

Circa 1997/98. This ad was shown on heavy rotation in the cinemas, dont recall seeing it much on tv.

Setting was a US city, pretty sure New York at nighttime. A security guard in an apartment block is watching CCTV. Hes middle aged with a moustache. He sees a houseparty in progress on CCTV screen (can't remember exactly how, maybe just sees loads of people going into an apartment).

There was this R n B type song on the soundtrack. Security guard knocks on the door of apartment. Next bit was kind of strange, door opened by this very smarmy Jerry Seinfeld lookalike with a big smug grin on his face, in fact it could even have been him, but Googling "Jerry Seinfeld beer commercial" draws a blank.

As soon as smarmy guy opens the door the music on the soundtrack stops and this solo female African American a capella vocal comes on very loudly on the soundtrack. One of those generic "ooooohhhs" that you hear in rap /r n b.

Security guard realises there's no party and is all apologetic, as he's speaking smarmy smiling guy closes the door in his face without a word.

Scene switches to inside the apartment. Smarmy guy opens closet door and the partygoers are all crammed inside. Music starts up again, partygoers whoop and cheer and smarmy guy does a theatrical bow.

In the period in question I regularly went to the cinema and this ad was shown so often that I developed an undying hatred of this ad and the way it presented smug guy as the "hero". Anyone else remember this?

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

Comments

Advertisement