Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrangea problem

Options
  • 11-04-2024 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭

Does this Hydrangea look diseased. The leaves have holes in some of them? If it is diseased what could be done to restore it to full health?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks generally healthy, what is it planted in (compost) and how long has it been there? It may need a bit of a feed but its not a crisis. The munched leaves are probably slugs or snails, could be caterpillars but its a bit early for them I would think. Have a close look among the leaves for critters, or if you see slug/snail droppings (greenish black droppings) that would be the answer. What is the little heap of green things on the right, is it eggs? Its a bit difficult to see exactly what is going on in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I agree with looksee that it looks like snails or slugs attacking an otherwise healthy plant. That said, I've a front garden infested with gastropods and they usually leave the hydrangeas alone. If you check the plant after darkness you'll see if they're there. Try spraying the new shoots with soapy water to keep them away. It looks like the plant is in a large pot? If so, I've had success keeping slugs out by running fine wire mesh around the base of the pot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What is the little heap of green things on the right, is it eggs? Its a bit difficult to see exactly what is going on in the photo.

If its what I think you're looking at then it is a developing flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the advice folks. It's in erracaheous soil. The little green spot think is part of the plant. Possibly a developing flower as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wondered if it was a flower but it seemed a bit early.

• Advertisement
Advertisement