Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY divorce - help! commissioner of oaths

Options
  • 11-04-2024 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, new to this so hopefully this is ok with mods.

Ex would like to use a specific commissioner of oaths to help us with our DIY divorce. He doesn't have any mention of this on his website or linkedin, so I'm not too confident in him.

If anyone has experience of him doing a DIY divorce for them, good or bad, would you mind PM'ing me?

Declan Kelly in Mullingar.

Second question - is there a halfway house where I pay a solicitor to help us do a DIY divorce i.e. no barrister? Any idea of cost of this option?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

No idea about your CoO but I can tell you you don't need barrister for a divorce, DIY or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

DIY divorce is just that- no solicitor, barrister etc. There are companies who will help you if you need to but you can do the whole lot yourself as long as its straightforward. They are about 500 euro and will sort out all your paperwork etc for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yeahwell

Thanks, appreciate it.

Does anyone know if you have agreed everything, how likely is it the judge may say your agreement is unfair, and change it?

My income and assets have increased over our separation, ex's have not.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭karlitob

Can I suggest a family mediator. Some services are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If there's a a big disparity in assets and neither of you have engaged with a solicitor, they may question it alright. The judge at my divorce hearing almost had an issue with the fact that I had waived all my interests in the marital home and my ex's very lucrative pension (my solicitor wasn't in court with me on the day). I assured her that I had been fully advised on the matter while we were doing the judicial separation and that was good enough for her, after some consideration. I'm not sure she would have let it go if I hadn't already had the benefit of full legal counsel, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement