Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving a van with my licence

Options
  • 11-04-2024 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭

I just have "car" ,"tractor" and "motorbike" on my licence.

Can I still drive a van if I am accompanied by someone with a license that includes "van" in the categories.

Actually I don't know why she has that category and I don't .Maybe because she passed her test at a time when they were more generous in giving out categories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's no "van" license. The B category (which shows a picture of a car) entitles you to drive a vehicle (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) with a Maximum Authorised Mass of less than 3,500kg that is designed to carry fewer than 8 passengers (plus the driver).

The Maximum Authorised Mass is also known as the gross vehicle weight (g.v.w.). It'll be written on a metal plate on the vehicle, or you can look it up in the vehicle specifications

Anything except the very biggest vans will have a GVW of 3,500kg or less.

If you want to drive something with a GVW greater than 3,500kg, you'll need the appropriate C category on your license, or you'll need to have a Learners Permit for the C category, plus an appropriately licensed driver accompanying you.

Details on the license codes is here:

https://www.rsa.ie/services/learner-drivers/types-of-licences

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

By the way, when you say this person has a van licence, is it a B1 category on her license? The little icon looks like a van, but actually it's for tricycles, quadracycles and small cars up to 550kg in weight. Ireland doesn't issue this category (it's covered by B), but if she has a licence from another country, she may have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭amandstu

I asked her if she has her license to hand but she is not quite sure where she left it and so it might be a while before it shows up . :-)

You might be right .I doubt very much she would be comfortable driving anything larger than anything taking 8 people!

B1 category does ring a bell.

I have never driven a van myself but am glad I am allowed if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Spidermann1

Yes u can drive a short wheel Base van, covered by category B depending on amount of seats

• Advertisement
Advertisement