Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The maths question

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Fascinating and timely .

The science of reading is gaining traction worldwide following on from on from the “ Sold a Story” podcasts . The 3 cueing system that has created so many issues sprang from Marie Clay’s theory, rather than rigorous evidence based studies . The American movement which embraced it , stated that children would learn if surrounded by books and taught strategies to guess rather than given explicit instruction in basic skills .

The idea that giving children maths materials and expecting them to more or less figure it out on their own is similar .

“Teacher-led instruction( in maths) is often said to stifle students’ innate curiosity, extinguish their interest, and obstruct conceptual comprehension. This conflicts with the science.”
    Nothing “ extinguishes interest” faster than being left to flounder about and be expected to be suddenly inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ninesell

We are feeling the influence of Jo Boaler here. I don’t know if you are familiar with the controversy in the Californian curriculum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

Isnt the whole learning styles voodoo a total myth too?

The amount of guff I had to sit through and on occasion listen to from kids that got it off a youtube video about being a visual learner.

You are not a visual learner, I know from presenting things to you visually and using methodolgies that use visuals, diagrams, graphs etc etc the problem isnt the visuals...its at least partly your complete lack of effort and fantasies that that the bit where you practice and engage wouldnt be necessary if information and learning was only engaged with in a specific way etc

Turns out it was an inspector essentially made it up (even used the word magic when asked about it on occasion)...very little if any proper research but an attractive idea that seems like it should be right and people find very hard to let go of...and whole careers built on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

I do wonder how we ever dragged ourselves out of the muddy cave because up until now teachers have ' stifling ' children's creativity.

Are our current crop of scientists, engineers, statisticians etc. that much worse off , in comparison to the whizkids these educationalists think they're going to be turning out. How much more better at maths can you be? 110% ??

I thought project maths was enough 😭

Advertisement