Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

posting images

Options
  • 10-04-2024 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭

So what's up with posting images now? It's as useless as the search function, is there a way to post like we could in the past? Sorry if this was addressed before, but I can't find a thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If you have the image saved on your device, click on the second button in the bottom left of the comment box (Upload image) as you're posting.

If you are posting a photo from another site, copy the link to the photo (ending .jpg or .gif or whatever), then click the third button on the bottom left (Insert media) and paste the link into that.

You could also attach an image (with the fourth button/icon) but that will open another page to show the image. It won't be visible in your thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gone be the days of [IMG] tags, the good old days where you could simply add an image tag, the link to the image and a closing image tag. Now you nearly have to line plot the image on vector co-ordinates, use countless algorithms and cross a fortune tellers hands with silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I just Copy Image and Paste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I think it depends on the source of the image, there are also a few options to show how a link is presented.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Absolutely . "Copy Image"….Ctrl V

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Posting images is probably the only improvement Vanilla made over the old vBulletin implementation.

As mentioned, you can copy and paste, you can post a URL to the image, or you can use the Upload Image icon in the bottom left of the comment text box. You no longer have to upload your image to a 3rd party hosting provider and be dealing with tags. You can post straight from your phone's camera roll. The only criticism I have is that you have limited scope to resize images (but it's still more control than vBulletin gave you).

Also, if you paste or upload the image, then it gets hosted by Vanilla. So we won't suffer from threads with broken and missing images in the future, whereas images disappeared from the likes of Imgur or Flickr over time.

On the subject of links, I think the options to display how they are presented are relatively new (I only noticed them this week anyway).

Originally, pasted URLs would show a formatted preview with image and heading. Or if the page didn't support it, they would show an error.

Now we have three options:

Just display the raw URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage

display the link behind the title of the page (default): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage

or the old preview with image:

which is a welcome improvement.

Advertisement