Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demand Controlled Ventilation vs Heat Recovery

Options
  • 10-04-2024 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I'm trying to choose between these two systems. Ideally they'd be professionally installed but the prices I've had thrown at me so far started at €5k for DCV up to €15k for MVHR (i live in a standard semi-d, not a mansion). So DIY seems more likely.

Cracking open windows doesn't work so well (hence the need for mechanical ventilation) and open windows let in noise, which is just annoying.

My house is reasonably airtight. All rooms are used regularly. It's a two story, and there's a couple of voids to run ducting downstairs.

What would people recommend? Has anyone experience of both?

Thanks .

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've got single unit heat recovery in all my upstairs rooms - no ducts but dearer room units; and I imagine less efficient/effective in terms of not being able to use excess ambient heat from one room.

Much easier on a retrofit, seems to be working pretty well (back in the house ~2 years now). Was able to adapt how it worked during the 2022 heatwave to only intake on the cool / shade side of the house and expel to the warm side which left the house a hell of a lot cooler.

So I'm very happy with the concept but I am not happy with the quality of the install job, however; or the faffy controls of the units I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SeanieRetrofitter

What was wrong with the install & controls?

But basically, you're happy with them as in you're getting decent fresh air?

Advertisement