Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap in CV

Options
  • 09-04-2024 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

I have not been employed since last summer since my last temporary contract ended. I have been constantly looking for work during this time, some job offers fell through, through no fault of my own, which has led me to being unemployed up until now. I am actively seeking work in my chosen field.

Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation, and how would you explain it at interview if asked?

Advice?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just be honest and say what you've said here. It's not your fault job offers fell through. And don't beat yourself up about it. Just be totally positive and constructive at interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

It was a temporary contract so it's not your fault it ended so it's more than fair.

If you really wanted peace of mind you can always say you were caring for a family member, an awful lot of people have gaps due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

Like @super said, be honest. Share the struggle with them. But then also share the positives that came out of it. Sample Answer:

Looking at my resume, you'll notice I have an employment gap of 5 months. I was relocating internationally and had to go through the administrative process of procuring my travel visa and work authorization permits. During this time, I couldn't legally be employed abroad.

The time off was a blessing. It allowed me to recharge my batteries and use the time to stay current with industry and consumer trends. I took the opportunity to evaluate my career journey and make sure I was working towards my long-term goal of being a multinational general manager. Without the day-to-day hustle, I was able to be introspective and distill the lessons I'd taken away in previous roles, and start planning my intentions for the next.

I also used the time to read up on the latest developments in design thinking and innovation, and even took,a couple online courses in these spaces. What initially seemed like a frustrating forced break ended up being a very positive period of time for me, and I was able to start my next chapter feeling inspired and refreshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thanks everyone

Would saying something along the lines of "From x month in 2023 my last temporary employment came to an end, and since this time, I have consistently been on the lookout for a new role that suits my skills and experience."

Any thoughts on this or anything I could add here?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭rdhma

Add any other productive activities you have been doing.
    Voluntary work.
    Courses, online or in person.
    Caring for a family member, at mentioned above.
    Even travelling the world - some do take advantage of being between jobs for a while.

Basically, anything that says you have motivation and are not someone who just sits on your arse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yep and while I’m listening to this verbal diarrhea I’m wondering what the hell did you actually get up to and that it’s probably better to go with the previous guy that has been struggling to find a new gig since his last temp job ended a couple of months ago, he at least sounded credible!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Say as little as possible about it.

Advertisement