Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vauxhall Vs Focus

Options
  • 09-04-2024 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys, just looking for opinions on something. I'm currently driving a 2014 Ford Focus 3 1.6 and have just been offered the opportunity to change to a 2016 Vauxhall Insignia for a very cheap price. The Focus is sitting at 180000 km and the Vauxhall is about 160000. Both cars are just serviced, taxed, and in great condition. The Vauxhall seems like a good upgrade since I'll be gaining cruise control, added tech, and more comfort, but I've heard bad things about reliability.

I've also pumped a good deal of money into the Focus for a new belt and battery over the last few months. It does have a leaking problem in the boot that I'm waiting to get fixed soon,and had electrical issues last year that I think I've solved. Both cars will be used almost entirely on the motorway for commuting, with a bit of city driving. I'm really on the fence about changing. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,188 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What engine is in the Insignia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭goochy

how much mileage of focus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dantheman95lbp

Both cars are 1.6 Diesel, the Focus is 182000 km, and the Insignia is around 160000 km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭goochy

sorry missed that - very little mileage difference - could be buying into trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭User1998

Is the Insignia even worth much more than the Focus? Doesn’t seem like it based on Donedeal prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't. That Insignia 1.6 diesel engine is soft and not very reliable. Timing chains give terrible trouble on them. 1.6 in the Focus isn't perfect by any means but in this case better the devil you know than the devil you don't know imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dantheman95lbp

I'd pretty much just be changing to go up in years, and have a bit more luxury. Shouldn't cost much at all either once I sell the Focus. It's really just the reliability issues putting off the Insignia. Its my father's car so I know it's been well serviced and looked after, and he hasn't had a whole pile of trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I'd stick with the focus.

That boot leak is extremely common, water gets in through the vents behind the rear bumper, there's a few plugs you can remove from the rear underside of the car and water will pour out, go a step further and remove the cloth padding material inside the holes and you'll never have that issue again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

Keep the Focus IMO, I don't think you're gaining enough to justify the risk on a potentially riskier car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭jj880

My mothers 2011 1.6 petrol Focus was a swimming pool on wheels. Pulled the plugs from under the corners of the bumper and also had to add some silicone between the clamps and body for the 2 rods that lift the boot lid when you open it. Was water getting in there also. 2 easy jobs to try yourself before paying anyone. Her Focus has been very reliable though. 120k miles on it. No major issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The 1.6 petrol version is very reliable alright. It has a timing chain as well - no belt to worry about.

If it's the 1.6 CDTI (136bhp) engine we're talking about it's belt driven not chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

Ford, even when selling it again it be more saleable than a vauxhall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If you were changing to the 2L insignia SRI I would say go for it- I’ve my 2011 since about 120k kms (bought it in 2017 or thereabouts) and I’ve 302k kms on it now without any issues, albeit I get it serviced on the button.
    The insignia would be a big jump in comfort for motorway cruising, but as other posters have mentioned, the 1.6 might be a different animal altogether and you could end up buying trouble.

Advertisement