Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda Skyactiv 2.2 diesel recall/stalling/carbon

Options
  • 09-04-2024 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

We all know about the problems with the Skyactiv 2.2 diesel engine from the Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-5. Problems with the DPF, EGR, carbon build up, leaking injectors, low oil pressure warning, blocked oil sump strainer/filters, worn camshafts, blown turbos, etc., etc..

Has anyone had problems with their Skyactiv 2.2 diesel stalling or the intake shutter valve (throttle body) being caked in carbon? April, 12 months ago (April 2023) my Mazda3 stalled in traffic and could not be restarted. It was towed to my local Mazda dealer and they said it needed a full carbon clean.

Does anyone remember the Mazda intake shutter valve recall of January 2020. The AK016A recall stated, "A safety issue has been identified, whereby, it is possible that an accumulation of soot may cause the intake shutter valve to stick in the closed position. Under certain conditions and in the worst-case scenario, this could result in the engine stalling."

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/product_recalls/mazda-recalls-certain-mazda-cx-5-mazda-3-and-mazda-6-passenger-vehicles/

When my car went in for the recall in 2020 it
    was given a full carbon clean, the intake shutter
    valve was checked and an engine software
    update was included to help reduce carbon
    build up.
    3 years later the very problem that the recall
    was supposed to fix, occurred and I had to pay
    for the carbon clean (the quote was €900 & I
    ended up paying about €260 after negotiating
    with the dealer and Mazda Ireland). I said why
    should I pay and they both said it was the
    mileage of the vehicle (about 140,000 km), the
    age of the vehicle and my "driving style".They said it was nothing to do with the recall.

The recalls department of the RSA (Road Safety Authority), the AMSA (Automotive Market Surveillance Authority) said that effectively they will do nothing about it as it was the first reported incident of the stalling occurring due to carbon build up in the intake shutter valve. Mazda Ireland have not reported it happened before. Irish and EU legislation says that recall reoccurrences must be reported by the dealer and manufacturer.

I thought recalls were for the life of the vehicle?!?

Across the globe it seems that motor companies can word the recalls as they see fit. In Australia the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) worded their version of the same recall quite differently:

"The ACCC is urging consumers to respond to Mazda Australia's 9 October 2019 voluntary safety recall of Mazda3, Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5 vehicles, as there is a serious safety issue which can result in injury or death."

"The affected Mazda vehicles have an issue with accumulation of carbon deposits in the engine's intake shutter valve and may experience premature wear of some engine parts."

"This defect can affect engine performance and cause problems with control of the vehicle. Loss of engine power and control of the vehicle, particularly in high speed situations, can lead to dangerous collisions resulting in serious injury or death."

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/news/safety-alert-for-recalled-mazda3-my2014-2016-mazda6-and-mazda-cx-5-my2012-2018-diesel-vehicles

I am glad that myself and a member of my family were only travelling at 10-15kph and not 120 kph. Why is Mazda Ireland allowed to word its recall in such a dismissive and non threatening manner.

The wording, "The affected Mazda vehicles have an issue with accumulation of carbon deposits in the engine's intake shutter valve and may experience premature wear of some engine parts" shows that they know there is an issue with the design of the engine. This opens a can of worms for all the Mazda Skyactiv 2.2 owners in Ireland as how many of us have paid for carbon cleans and damage (or wear and tear) to engines that have been caused by carbon build up? In Taiwan, Mazda stopped selling diesel cars as there were so many problems, the Taiwanese government said that Mazda would have to give lifetime warranties on all their diesel vehicles.

For anyone who has had a similar problem to me the recalls department in the RSA has an email address (I found it difficult to find last year). It is vehiclerecalls@rsa.ie. I hope no-one has had to go through what I went through (or worse).

Advertisement