Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying iPad Pro from non-Apple store

Options
  • 09-04-2024 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy an iPad from Adverts and have a few questions.

Can a Wifi only version be "blocked"? I'm buying a brand new one that's sealed so of course I will check if it is registered to someone just in case it was dodgy, but after that, can an iPad really be blocked or locked? The reason why I ask is I've seen a thread where the sources of some adverts could be dodgy and just want to make sure the device will be fine.

Would Applecare need a receipt or can I avail of it, presuming that me opening the iPad is its first time being activated?

Would Apple honour warranty without a receipt? I've seen threads(but in US forums) saying that warranty is tied to serial number. So again, presuming iPad has actually never been opened before, will warranty be honoured?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

IF you're buying brand new from Adverts, its probably a grey import, hence the much lower price, as the taxes have been avoided on it.

AppleCare can be purchased from the day the iPad is first activated, no receipt needed.

Warranty will be honored, as you will be the registered owner from day 1 activation, again, no receipt needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

any computer device these days with an internet connection can be locked in theory. Are they going to lock a WiFi iPad which isn’t tied to a contract? Unlikely.

If you’re the first person to register the device with your Apple ID the warranty will kick in then. There should be no issue with Apple honoring the warranty. If you bought it in a shop and returned it with a defect they would go through Apple anyway. But if you bought it in a shop they would have to give you a replacement there and then.

Lastly there is no reason why you can’t activate Apple care. I think you can do this within the first 6 months of activating the new device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Thanks all.

Is there even such a "lock" on a Wifi only device? I understand that phones can be locked, as in, it cannot access network apart from Wifi, but as the ipad is not cellular, how can it be locked?

Thanks for all the info everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

technically once it connects to the internet Apple could lock the device if the purchaser had a good reason.

I agree with the above post it’s likely an import with no taxes paid so it’s really not that risky. If the seller has good feedback there shouldn’t be any issue.

but take as an example a truck is stolen with 500 iPads.

If the owner of these iPads has a log of the serial numbers he could request Apple to block them. I’m sure it’s been done before. Very unlikely scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

If the device as been added to an organisations Apple Business Manager there may be an issue. The serial number is linked to an organisation's profile and this can be managed through an MDM application.

I have come across a situation before where an organisation had given out MacBooks to users who then tried to sell them on and the organisation's MDM platform picked it up each time it was connected to the web

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Thank you all.

Advertisement