Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anatomy of a Fall

Options
  • 09-04-2024 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find an existing thread on it. A wonderfully acted and expertly written legal drama where a writer, played by Sandra Huller reminding me of Christophe Waltze and his command of multiple languages, must defend herself from charges of pushing her husband out of a third story window.

To call it a whodunnit is a bit of a red herring and may leave some viewers disappointed that it is not played as such. This is a drama through and through and is all about the characters and their complicated relationships with one another. The running time is around 2.5 hours but I was engrossed from start to finish. All of the cast act their socks off including the dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomy_of_a_Fall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭sporina

loved it - heart was thumping through about 1/3 of it.. 8/10 - last 10 mins wer a bit floaty imo and what 11 yr old could be that clever/articulate - but in general it was a brilliant movie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

One of my films of 2023. It's one I must watch again. Didn't know anything about it when I saw it, just went into the cinema on a whim and was delighted. Really enjoyed the court scenes, so different to what we see in UK or US movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

I echo the above comments - absolutely compelling film. Loved it.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I loved it. Had to have it pointed out to me that the main actress also played the commandant's wife in 'The Zone of Interest'. She was so different in each film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Didn’t like the ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Hate to put a bit of a dampener on things, but I watched it knowing it had won praise and prizes, and perhaps that’s why I was a little disappointed with it.

It was definitely a good film, and it’s one I’d watch again. Maybe then I’d have a different take on it, but my first impression of it was that for a thriller it was actually rather ponderous. I found myself slightly bored at times.

I do think that’s a risk with films that get loads of praise - maybe higher expectations are not realistic. It’s happened me the other way around too - films I’ve loved and pushed other people to go and see have sometimes not had the same effect on them.

(Loved the dog though - and there was a bit there that really shocked me)

felt that the last scenes wer unnecessary also but didn't take away from the movie - for me

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 30,846 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd say it's gone from everywhere by now unless you get some smaller cinema giving it a late run (it won Best International Film at this years Oscars so there's at least some hope of that), so streaming is probably your best bet. It's on 'Max' if you have access, otherwise will be a rental job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Its on Prime as far as I know, that's where I watched it.

Loved it, great movie with fantastic acting and dialogue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Very good movie. Really strong performances all round. As strong a court drama as you'd expect to find, the lead prosecutor was vicious. And equally backed with some great family drama.

The pivotal argument is very raw , powerful and realistic.

Well worth watching, despite its length

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

https://youtu.be/dMy0DNFfx9I?si=hA03HaQt55va5-o9

CPL 593H

Advertisement