Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injury awards slashed - supreme court confirms it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Can't wait for way cheaper insurance now.

Oh wait, that hasn't a hope of happening has it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My car insurance has never been cheaper.

I've never been this bloody old before either though.

Mine has gone up steadily.

Usual excuses, war, petulance, disease, etc, etc.

Also cheapest car insurance would have been about 15 years ago when they were racing to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭timmyntc

15 years ago

Sean Quinn the hero we need

The real reason insurance is so high here is the legal sector. Irish legal fees are way out of whack with the continent - and the fact that courts routinely award costs against the insurer even when they win (because deeper pockets) means insurance costs will never drop to the European norms.

Also though we have genuine cartel like behaviour here with insurers making rip roaring profits too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I bought a new car recently and it made my insurance jump from €450 to €950. Same sized engine as the previous one. Nobody from the insurance company was able to give me a clear answer as to why outside of some generic bullshit scripted reasons.

Immediately cancelled and went with another company who were happy to offer the same level of insurance for €333.

I know it's an absolute pain in the hole switching but it's definitely worth shopping around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I think it’s important to stop these ridiculous comp claims. Hopefully our insurance costs will reduce eventually as these spurious compo claims go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭DataDude

Motor insurance premiums are down over 20% in nominal terms since 2018 per the central bank. Inflation in the same period is up 20% (per CSO). So a near 40% real reduction in motor insurance in just 5 years.

The UK have had premiums go up almost 50% in the last 18 months alone due to the cost of repairing cars going up by far more than underlying inflation and the cost of repairing EVs being higher.

For the first time in forever insurnace in Ireland is far cheaper than in the UK. The reform in the sector has been nothing short of astonishing for which the government should take huge credit.

‘Insurance too expensive’ is so deep in the Irish psyche that no amount of facts can change peoples minds sadly. It could be €100 avg premium and people will still be saying it’s a rip off and needs to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

No one talks about the legal costs paid out to plaintiff solicitors, it is off the charts.

Motor insurance premiums are down over 20% in nominal terms since 2018 per the central bank

Well that is all relative isn't it? 20% down sounds good but 20% down from an eye watering starting point not so good.

Also the figures are skewed by the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

I would agree that car insurance is cheaper for certain classes in Ireland but not by much.As for reducing premiums here I ain't seen it. I check 14 companies and brokers for quotes each year. The figures they supply are fanciful in about 4

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Can I please ad to this, the insurance companies can be real dicks and they bring this on themselves.

Many a moon ago, an old dear crashed into me on the roundabout at the Hermitage clinic, next to Liffey Valley. I was injured and car damaged. I told them I was injured but if they fixed my car promptly, back to where it was, that would be in full and final settlement. They acted the bollix and dragged it out. I handed it over to the solicitors. IAfter about 18 months, I saw 13 grand in the library of the 4 courts after 2 "solicitors who were very friendly with each other" went in and out a few times to "negotiate a settlement". I have no idea what their fees were, but I saw 13k. Well done Eagle Star!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

My insurance has gone down over the last few years, lower certainly than it was 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Under the old system Bridget would have been entitled to about €35000. Ridiculous money. If the same injury happened on your own property and you suffered the same losses, what would it cost you? A few days off work, doctor’s fees, prescriptions and maybe physio, and in Bridget’s case, a waking boot for a few days. €35000 though? No way.
    Thankfully the generation of judges and Law Society people and Civil Service are slowing changing so the jackpot payouts are going away.
    Not a direct comparison but to give you an idea of how our Legal system values humans. Thornton’s Recycling recently fined €60,000 for health and safety failings that led to the death of a man. Same lawyers, with the same training arguing €35,000 for a twisted ankle….

Cui bono?

Well I guess we could look at the publicly available central bank data and see motor insurers made a whopping 4% profit margin in 2017 and an 8% margin in 2018 when premiums were at their highest levels. And that was after making an average loss of 16% each year for the preceding 4 years. But hey, let’s not let the facts get in the way of the narrative around insurance prices.

Why would you use a sample size of 1 person to decide if premiums are falling when we have both the CSO and Central Bank doing it? The Central bank have data on €1.3bn worth of premium across 2.2 million policies, covering 97% of all policies in the market. The average premium across the market is down c.20%. This is a fact.

Unfortunately it trumps the quotes of 14 companies for 1 person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Who provides this data to the central bank again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my insurance is down to the same as it was in 2013 ( fully comp, 360, breakdown, step back no claims etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Your insurance premium is based on multiple factors.
    A newer/more valuable car is more expensive to replace. Why wouldn’t your premium go up if you change to a more valuable car?

If you’re suggesting all the global insurers in Ireland are collectively falsifying their accounts, fooling the regulator and also colluding with/tricking their auditors to show an artificially lower profit/premium, with the risk of massive fines and ending the careers of the senior individuals doing it - then…sigh…

Oh and when the CSO get their quotes of sample premiums to gauge the level of inflation from the previous period, they are also bogus. Or else the CSO are in on this collusion to pretend premiums are going down when they’re actually up…

• Advertisement

It depends how they are getting the data, it's not necessary accounting data or coming from auditors, it not necessarily profit or loss either that you are seeing, it's not like auditors aren't paid by the very businesses they audit in the first place

I mean why would any companies hide or manipulate figures, cause sigh theyd never do that oh wait

It's strange the lack of detail in the report, why have the grouped the data in such a way

Why no extra details on the sudden switch around from a fairly hefty loss to profit

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I think my car insuirance has increased every year for the last 10 years despite having no claims ect. i recall great promises a few years ago to tackle the ever upward trends in Insuirance premiums I will hold my breath at this latest news

It is though. All of the data is reconciled by the firms to the quantitative reporting templates they are required to submit the CBI under solvency II that are signed off by the auditors.

Any discrepancy to something as basic as total premiums, total claims, profit in the regulatory submissions would generate an immediate query from the CBI who do their own checks on the validity of the data. I know this because I was on the receiving end of plenty of these queries in a previous job. The CBI have a ridiculous bank of data and are extremely competent at their jobs.

The switch from loss to profit was due to rate increases in 2016-2018. This then bumped further due to the personal injury guidelines applying retrospectively to claims on policies sold years before their introduction (this was an unexpected windfall for insurers) and also COVID massively reducing miles driven in 2020 and 2021.

Thanks for the information, I was not implying they were lying to anyone

But the report starts with profit, which as you no can and us manipulated heavily

Look at the yearly breakdown of the data

Something happened circa 2013, this is what I meant by grouping the data and the problem with the report

This is throwing it all off, insurance is plenty profitable has a decent margin, no obvious issue with claims going up and up and these 2 years skew it off

I'd say it was post Celtic tiger, maybe the Quinn effect

Profit can be manipulated in insurance in the short term through reserving practices but after 4-5 years the profit for a given year of policies is pretty concrete.

Pretty much all insurers aim for 5-6% profit margin over the long term. Thats publicly disclosed to investors (who they’d want to exaggerate prospective profitability to rather than downplay). Historically investment returns on bonds added to this margin but this was negative for many years until 2020.

The Irish market over the last 15 years has maybe just about made this 5% margin. Lost a fortune in motor for about 5 years in mid 2010s. Home insurance has generally done ok until the last couple of years which were not good with inflation.
    Nobody made money in Commercial business for about a decade up to 2020 (hence all the exits and inability for anyone to get cover. Brexit didn’t help capacity).

COVID with everyone staying inside and now the personal injury guidelines were hugely unexpected benefits to the industry which has made up for previous losses to get back to that 5% long term target (it will always swing up and down between big profits and big losses, it’s very cyclical and hard to price).

The above is the informed rationale view of the insurance sector in Ireland but it just gets drowned out by ill informed bias of the masses. It’s a real shame as it makes rationale debates impossible.

In terms of the profit margin also. Think of your iPhone, your food at Tesco, your pint in the pub. Almost any business you interact with, I can assure you none of those are operating on a margin anywhere close to as low as 5%. But alas, wasted breath. Insurers will always be ‘gougers’.

The above is the informed rationale view of the insurance sector in Ireland but it just gets drowned out by ill informed bias of the masses.

Again, my insurance has gone up steadily, shopping around doesn't help. My circumstances have not changed.

When I asked why I was fobbed off with costs, something, something.

So my view is real, rationale and informed and not the result of hysterical media.

I take it you work in insurance, would that be correct?

I actually asked a few people today, all the same. All gone up.

Strange isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have no bone in this fight but it must be said, a version of this post could and would have been written about the banking and mortgage sectors circa 2007.

There hasn't been a good regulator since Billy the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The switch from loss to profit was due to rate increases in 2016-2018.

What rate increases?

Euro rates were negative until 2020s

• Advertisement

Premiums have fallen, that is a fact. To say otherwise belongs in conspiracy forum tbh. Could be many reasons yours hasn’t but for most, they have. They have started to rise again in last 12 months but remain far below 2018 levels.

I worked in the sector but no longer do. Stay close enough to understand dynamics.

Advertisement