Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Up On The Soaps

Options
  • 08-04-2024 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else reached the point where they have given up watching any of the soaps?

I started watching Coronation Street back in 1978 and Fair City when it started in 1989. But towards the end of last year I got to the stage where I completely lost interest in both and have completely stopped watching them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find all soaps gave their highs and lows.

Soaps do have to progress with the times rough.

We did loose interest in Eastenders a few years back because of all the shouting and the Carter's. It did seem good at Christmas.

Coronation Street is a bit tiring at the moment with the whole Roy being wrongly arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I've given up on most of them at this point.

I was a devoted Emmerdale watcher for years but I found that I hated more characters than liked so found it a slog.

I haven't watched Eastenders in years or Corronation Street - I don't know if it's the storylines or the writing but when the older characters were being phased out it all became very daytime. I think having soaps on more than twice a week stretches them a bit thin and turns them into background noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

It's too many episodes! Two a week was plenty (even 3). But with Corrie it's now the equivalent of 6 per week, Emerdale is 5 (I think). Too many characters and poorer storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I watched Coronation Street all my life until 2 years ago. I started watching it when my mam and granny had it on, then as an adult I took it up myself.

But when the multiple murders/rapes/explosions/wrongful convictions took over from the true comedc roots of CS, I bowed out.

The current story lines are absolutely ludicrous and so far fetched...oh and predictable!

I don't miss it one jot.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Saw an interview recently where Charlie Lawson (Jim McDonald) was asked if he could see himself returning to Coronation Street at some point. He said he doubted it because the show has changed too much - it has gone from being character driven to being issue driven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Trying to keep track of 4 soaps isn't easy. Often there are times when I want to watch a film but I can't as I have to catch up on soap operas. I do plan to cut out Neighbours some time. Cutting out Coronation street would save me a lot of time but it is easier said than done. If there is an after life I hope there are no soap operas in it as I've wasted enough time in this life on them.

Advertisement