Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds fluttering up against kitchen windows.

Options
  • 08-04-2024 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

It's all very strange. i have three windows in my kitchen, where my working-from-home station is set up. In recent days, small garden birds, sparrows, yellow tits etc seem to be determined to get in through the windows. The literally hurl themselves at the panes of glass, and stay there fluttering for up to 10 seconds. It is definitely not just one bird doing this, as I have had the three windows 'attacked' at the same time. I have never put bird food on the window sills - I just have feeders hanging from trees a fair way from the windows. The windows are far from sparkling - I still need to spring clean them, so it's not as if the birds can't see the panes. In fact, all three windows are now liberally spattered with bird pooh. Because of the noise generated by their flapping wings, I sometimes think that they are being aggressive, but I have no way of knowing if this is the case.

Can anyone offer any explanation, please?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Any spiders up near the tops of the windows? I have a Robin that looks like he is bashing himself on the window but I'm fairly sure he's after spiders. He starts about a foot to six inches down from the top and then flutters around for a bit finally making a grab at something at the top of the window before flying off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Nope. They seem to be targeting the centre of the panes. They hover there for a few seconds, with their wings bashing the window, retreat to a nearby tree, sit there, and appear to be planning their next assault, and in they come again. It's getting a bit Hitchcock-esque at this stage. Family were home over Easter and were absolutely flabbergasted to witness the carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,935 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Could they be attacking their own reflection, thinking it is a rival?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

It's attacking its own reflection, territorial thing.

Birdwatch ireland advise:

"The most effective way to stop it is to take some cling-film, scrunch it up as much as possible so that it is very wrinkled, then place it over the outside (not the inside) of the glass. The wrinkles will break the bird’s reflection up enough so that it no longer recognises it, and light can still pass through the window as normal. You would only need to do this for a week or two: after that, the bird will forget all about it and will be in a less aggressive mood."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

We thought of that, but two of the windows are on one wall and the third one is on a second wall. None of the windows are clean enough for the birds to see their reflection. And because they are on different walls, it's not as if the sun would be shining directly on all three windows at the same time.

Advertisement