Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road racing for an 11 year old

Options
  • 08-04-2024 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Looking for some info and advice for my 11 year old who's interested in participating in a road race. Are there many events for kids in the age group? The Cycling Ireland calendar does list some 'youth' events but are 11 year olds in this category? Based in Limerick so familiar with Greenmount but wondering does anyone know of any other races around Munster (racing around in a circle doesn't appeal to me a whole lot but it might be ok to begin with). What distance are races for this category and what's the equipment arms race like at that level - do many riders wear runners or has everyone progressed to cycling shoes by now? Don't want to embarrass the poor lad by looking completely out of place! Do kids that age need CI membership? Any other info/advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

In Limerick Greenmount is def the best place for your lad, give them a ring and bring him out on one of their youth training evenings, wednesdays I think, my young lad has done a lot of their races and it's a good safe place to start racing at 11 he will learn a lot, it's 1km track and lots on here have raced it, it's a tough course I've been slaughtered there a few times.

And yes he will need a cycling ireland licence.

Also when my lad first started racing it was tough getting info from organisers and CI themselves so chat to other parents at the races and ask questions, vinnie at greenmount is very helpful as well he will give you good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

100% what mamax said, get talking to your local club, even the Munster CX league during the winter would be a good place to make some connections. And that's fairly visible of where and when races are on for youths. He will need a license, but at that age, I'd say just try start him and encourage him gently to take part in a few things rather than just going lets get cycling shoes, aero helmet etc. if the grá takes then look at some stuff. Also you'll find that a local club will be great benefit for pre-owned stuff, kids out grow bikes at a rate of knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭this.lad

As the owner of two racing children and several racing bikes, I can second tha.t

Advertisement