Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking old house and building new

Options
  • 08-04-2024 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Helko,

My partner and I are thinking about buying my childhood home, in co. Kerry,, an old bungalow farmhouse that is in a bad state now, internal ceilings falling down, damp etc, and building a new home on the land.

Does anyone know what the approx cost of knocking a house or clearing about an acre of land is these days? Anyone done it recently?

I know there are grants available for vacant/derelict houses but how much of the existing house would have to be kept? We'd like to build further back from the road but obviously if keeping part of the existing house meant getting one the grants then we'd do that.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Planning is another consideration - it is situation dependant of course but it may be a lot easier to get planning if some of the original house is retained along with the possible grants. I know one situation where a full new house is being built onto an old cottage as they are availing of some grants and planning was far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CL17

Im pretty optomistic about getting planning since I grew up there and my child woukd be the 5th generation to live there. And a couple who dont have those kind of ties to the area got planning permission just up the road for a far bigger house than we want.

Ive had architets look at the old house, when discussing a new build,and they have said that even if we got every grant available it would still cost less to build cos the existing house is in such a bad state it would eat up thre grant money in no time

Advertisement