Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling indifferent about long distance relationship

Options
  • 08-04-2024 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I've been long distance dating someone for about 6 months now. It started out as him messaging me on a dating app maybe a year ago while he was visiting Ireland. We kept in contact and it never popped into my head that he could be possible partner because of the distance, but it was nice to chat (practically daily!). Then one day he mentioned the possibility of us dating and then it suddenly hit me that this could be a thing!

I decided to meet him when I was on holidays and it went really well. We've been "dating" since and are effectively in a relationship for 4 months now. We try to see each other every 6 weeks which has worked okay so far. I do find some aspects difficult. We only are able to video call once or twice a week because of the time difference. When we do get to see each other for our week long trips, then it becomes an intense experience where we effectively live with each other and see each other 24/7. I feel

I'm happy to have him in my life and cannot say a bad word about him, but I constantly have doubts about us. He is very intense in his affection and I just cannot match his energy. He showers me with compliments and would be a very tactile person, again something that's a bit alien to me. I've never really had a proper relationship in my life (I'm in my mid-thirties) so it's very difficult for me to gauge if I'm unsure about him or if it's just who I am and my general apathy to dating. I've been told (and am aware myself) that I don't get excited about anything in life, not just in dating.

I don't know if it's my personality, the long distance nature of the relationship or maybe just there being no 'thrill of the chase' with him as he was always chasing me!

How do I remove these doubts or how can I be sure that I am not wasting his time? There's nothing wrong with with him (in fact he's perfect - successful, handsome, caring, selfless, interesting), but there's nothing that truly excites me about it either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Sounds like too much intensity and compliments

Id probably let him off if you haven't the interest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You cant force feelings.

I've walked away from relationships that on paper were perfect but I felt something was missing as I just didn't get an emotional buzz.

If you're not feeling it, let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Unmatched energy means it’s won’t work, regardless of long distance. If one person is more into the other or moving things at a faster pace/more intense forget it. Both have to be on the same page.

Long distance rarely works successfully. I know one girl who is doing it successfully, but she is very experienced with relationships and knows what she is doing (meeting often and having the option of moving work wise helps). Apart from that one example it’s usually lonely people who are a bit desperate and can’t find dates in real life. You have to question why he’s being so intense.

I think if you are questioning things, deep down you know it’s not right. But it’s a good learning experience for what you want and don’t want in a relationship, if you want one.
    Since he’s being intense I doubt he’ll be okay with friendship, but maybe that is what this was more suitable as. I’m sure there are services where you can find people to chat to, penpals if you will, online that isn’t dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭eaglach

What if what I'm feeling is as good as it gets? What if I'm chasing deeper emotions that I'm just not capable of experiencing?

I've dating many people in the past but they've never gone anywhere, largely because I've felt zero spark. I certainly feel a strong connection with the guy I'm dating now, more than anyone I've ever dated before. But I feel like I'm comparing myself to everyone else, but I'm not like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You've had a number of threads here about your dating issues over the years, have you ever considered talking to someone about your difficulties? It's clear you're not sure what you want and it might be helpful to delve into why that is with someone who's qualified to help you.

Fwiw, I have very strong feelings about long distance relationships. Whatever about an established relationship having to go long distance for a while, I have absolutely no idea why anyone would actively choose to start out that way. I think you know that this isn't working for you, and I don't blame you.

• Advertisement

I don't know if my problems are real or if it's me just overthinking things. I've made so many posts over the years about dating problems I've had where most people would just get on with dealing with the issues themselves. I don't even know who to talk to, or even what I would be asking them about specifically.

Long distance is not really an issue for me. I've be single for most of my life so it's not a big issue for me not seeing him for a few weeks at a time. He could live 30 minutes from me and I think I might feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I've read some of your previous threads, and I'm not entirely sure what to advise you.

All I see from your posts is that they all tie into a theme of wanting to hide your sexuality. You're "out" if I remember correctly? But then do everything in your power to hide that you're gay. You think the vast majority of gay men are 'camp,' and will only date stereotypically masculine men who "pass" as straight and have even said in one situation it's because you wouldn't want the general public to assume you're a couple.

This seems to tie into this post as it seems you have an awful habit of avoiding any genuine, long term connections with men, and it's probably something you should seriously consider speaking to an LGBTQ-friendly therapist about.

Ultimately though if you're not into this guy enough, you're not into him enough so ending it is probably best. But I hope if you do that, you also speak with a professional because you might have the opportunity to be much happier in dating if you do. All the best :)

Thanks everyone. I think I need to bite the bullet and talk to a professional. I've been having related issues for too long now and I guess I can't continue to rely on internet strangers to help me, even though the advice is appreciated.

Advertisement