Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass seeds

Options
  • 07-04-2024 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭

with all the rain and wet ground etc is now a good time to sow grass seeds or should I wait a bit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

If your gardens wet then hold off. The ground will be too cold for germination while theres excess moisture in it. It'll only take a couple weeks of decent fairly dry weather for conditions to be right at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

thank you. Yeah, the garden is fairly wet alright.

when would be a good time to sow the grass seeds, end of April maybe?

Tbh with the weather at the moment you'll have to play it by ear based on the ground conditions, temperature and what the weather is like. You'd need the ground relatively dry, as in not damp/squelchy to walk on, and some nice decent spring weather. Traditionally I think April is the ideal month in spring to sow grass but the weather isn't exactly sprung like at the moment unfortunately.

How big of an area do you need to sow?

ah its small enough to be honest, its kind of a dead/damp/wet bit of grass in an existing lawn that does not get much sun. about 6 metres long and 2 metres wide

Post edited by obi604 on

I guess now would be OK to sow grass seeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I sowed grass seeds a few weeks ago and they are germinating fairly well. Builders made complete shite of the garden so the soil is not in good condition, but hoping that the grass itself will provide the conditiionong once established. Never seem to have enough seed down though!

I just have to sow a few where the grass always dies due to leaves falling and the area being wet and essentially turning to mush, all cleaned up now and raked and weeds out etc, so will sow maybe today

When best to sow grass seeds - on a dry or a wet day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭standardg60

I prefer to sow grass seed on a dry day as it stops me getting wet, apart from that it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

Noted. Final pedantic question - is it better to sow later in the evening, say 9pm……so less risk of birds picking at seeds for the initial part anyway.

How big of an area is it that you need to reseed? Could you cover it with something to keep the birds away till it starts to grow?

Is this area a constant problem? If it is would it be worth looking at sowing something else instead of grass that can handle damp shade?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ha ha thanks for the laugh. Definitely better to sow in daylight so you can see what you're doing.

Advertisement