Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I upgrade?

Options
  • 07-04-2024 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I have had a 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 petrol for the past 4 years. It only has 134,000 Kms on it. It has gotten a new clutch in the past 4 months, a new fan belt, and a new radiator replacement. Tyres have been maintained etc. the NCT is a hassle every year as it fails for spongy breaks and takes a few goes to pass it, despite me doing everything like replacing the master cylinder, bleeding etc. I think it's time for an upgrade but I am still a student hoping to start a PHd after my masters. I have savings so I am looking into second hand 2012 Hyundai i30s.

I am wondering if you think i should keep my 06 swift going for as long as possible since it mostly drives fine, or is it going to be a case where I put more money into it than its worth (already put €800 into it in past 4 months, I got it for €900).

Looking to justify myself in replacing it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Luna84

I'd keep it if you changed all those parts already. What else can go wrong?

It's an odd one the brakes tbh. Did you bleed the brakes yourself? I know it's oldish but a lot of the newer cars with ABS need to be bled with a scan tool and not a cheap hand held one. Though it is 06 and a basic car so it may not need that done to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Having got a new clutch and radiator, would you not try and get your value out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,195 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd chance it until something else major goes.

I'm unsure of our budget but you could put a few €1000 into a car and in a few months it could need more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭goochy

Drive it into ground

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Better the devil you know. You've put the money into it, might as well get the usage out of it. Maybe try another mechanic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement