Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Boundary walls/fences - who is responsible?

Options
  • 07-04-2024 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

In a typical estate semi-d or end terrace house who is responsible for the garden wall between the houses? I was told years ago, legally each house is responsible/liable for the fence/wall to the left of their garden. Anyone know if this is true?

I am an end house with a wooden fence between neighbors house who is attached onto our house. Other side of my house is a brick wall. The wooden fence between the houses is in bits and needs to be replaced. In general who is responsible for this cost. Is it usually completed on a 50:50 split or is one side more responsible for the wall/fence?

Reason for this question is I would prefer to have a permanent fixture rather than having to replace a wooden fence again in x amount of years but I'm not sure if my neighbor will agree to 1. sharing the cost and 2. the impact it will have on their garden (their garden is very decorative etc) and a brick wall will impact on the look of same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

It's not true that there is a set pattern of who owns what, it should show on house deeds whose ground fence is on or if it's on boundary and owned jointly. That said it would be practically impossible to make neighbour contribute if they didn't see the need.

When I built my house years ago the man who owned the site next to me was unwilling to go halves in a boundary wall as he had intentions of selling the site. I had to pay the full amount for that wall which was substantial and put it on my side of boundary even though next door now also have the benefit of it, it's my wall though!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭moneymaid

Thanks for the reply. It is the boundary wall/fence I am talking about, its there since the builder built the houses, it just needs to be replaced now.

I don't need or want any grief with my neighbor so looking like replacing wooden fence slats/partitions is the easiest and cheapest option, which I can cover the cost of without having to bother my neighbor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭standardg60

Talk to your neighbour, the vast majority of people are reasonable when it comes to replacing boundary fences, they're jointly owned, so you're not actually within your rights to do anything with it independently. If you do, as above, you'd have to build the new fence/wall entirely within your own property and leave the existing fence alone.

Happened to my sister years ago, wanted to replace the existing fence on three sides with a wall, two neighbours agreed but the one at the back didn't so that wall was built inside the boundary. Years later during a storm the opposite side of that neighbour's fence got destroyed and the cheeky fecker removed the panels from my sister's side to replace them. They were quickly told to put them back.

Advertisement