Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts Delay After No Fault Claim

Options
  • 07-04-2024 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

House was broken into and car stolen with key in late Jan, it was recovered the next day with only a minor scuff on the rear bumper.

I took until early February to get repairs started ( bumper, barrells and key and some interior plastics ) due to it being recovered across the border, PSNI had to do their thing then it had to be transferred back south etc.

Garage said the locks are on back order (BMW) and they still don't have an ETA. I got a courtesy hire car for 8 days. Initially I presumed it would be a week or two it took weeks of phonecalls before I was told they don't know, now 17 weeks later and its still not clear when the parts will arrive. The latest update is its been escalated with BMW UK.

The insurance company agreed to 5 more days of car hire just yesterday but cannot provide it for any longer. Renewal is due in about 2 months.

From what I can find online my options are very limited but has anyone else been in a similar situation and had a resolution?

If the car isn't repaired by renewal, what are my options? I presume the claim would still be open and I obviously wouldnt have access to the car.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

This is a problem with the part provider (BMW) so not much you could do unfortunately, apart from pushing them to provide it asap.

I don't see any connection between the car repair and the policy renewal. One thing should not affect the other.

Also, from what I understand, this would not be considered a "claim". Fire and Theft usually do not affect your NCB so you should expect to receive your upgraded cert by renewal time and do business as normal, either renewing or moving to another insurer. Just doublecheck with the insurance company if there is anything inconsistent on this regard when renewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It is a claim and therefore declarable to any prospective insurer. As for affecting your NCB, that depends on your policy wording and insurers vary on this aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Until the car is repaired and signed off I presume the claim will still be open, thus loading the next policy.

It doesn't affect my NCB, I'm expecting some loading from the claim itself though.

The issue I would have is renewing a policy on a car that could be unavailable indefinitely. They're not saying it will be months or weeks, they're saying they do not know when, they wouldn't shoot down a year when I posed the question. I suppose my NCB will hold for the usual time between active insurance policys?

Advertisement