Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical lane Rights

Options
  • 07-04-2024 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone

I am looking for advice on an historical lane

There is an old historical lane that runs between me and my neighbour which hadn't been used for about 30 years, recently I had to put up a fence and the lane was cleared of shrubs

A few weeks after the cleaning I have been approached by a man who has stated he has a bit of land in the lane and has applied for planning permission, the planning was put in after the lane was cleaned.

The problem is that the man now has stated that a pillar that is on the side of the lane is going to be knocked down whether I like it or not and he will be raising the lane a few foot as its muddy, this means my fence will be half under stones

The lane is 13 foot wide and he has said this is not wide enough for large lorries

The man does not have a right of way on the lane and I need to know where I stand about changes on land that is shared by me and my neighbour and how wide should a lane be through a field that was used 100 years ago by donkey and carts

I have no problem with the lane being used but I don't know where I stand in this situation

Can the lane be altered without me or my neighbours consent?

I don't want to fall out with anyone but don't want to be bullied either

Thanks

Kitty

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You need to get legal advice on this. You need to find out for sure who has access (both pedestrian and vehicular access) on the lane.

BeBefore you know it, you'll have all sorts of traffic heading up and down the lane so nip it in the bud and the only one who can really help you is a solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The OP doesn't make any sense. Does the man have land on the lane? If so, how did he acquire it?

Regardless, if a right of way was established by prescription, it would only extend to what it was established for. i.e walking across a field as a shortcut would not later entitle the person to put in a 20' road to drive lorries across it.

Object to the permission anyway. Not directly relevant but no harm.

Advertisement